Took the plunge

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Don A
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Took the plunge

Postby Don A » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 am

Today I tackled the timing belts. After tearing down what seemed like half the bike I was there. The 2 and 4 cylinder side went smooth as silk. Oh this isn't going to be so tough. WRONG! the 1 and 3 cylinder side was a ****. Everytime I'd put tension on the belt with the tensioner I'd check the crank timing to be sure it was still on T-1. Everytime it was off. Take the belt off, turn the crank, check again to make sure the 2 and 4 side was ok. Perfect. Back to the 3 and 4 side. OK belt on and in place. DANG IT! off again. Keep in mind it's like 90-95 outside today and I'm doing this in drive was because the garage was way hotter and I took the belt off and put it on over half a dozen times. OK belt back on 3 and 4 side. Timing mark check. FINALLY all marks perfect. Turned the crank 360 degrees. Cam markers pointing straight down. AWESOME. Crank mark perfectly on T-1. OUTSTANDING. Another 360. Cam markers straight up. Crank on T-1. I DID IT!! Just to be sure, several more rotations of the crank and listening carefully to be sure no valves were hitting the pistons.

Now to put the girl back together. Hour and a half later, radiator filled, resevoir filled, everything put together, checked, double checked and triple checked. The moment of truth. Will it start?

Key on, choke set, hit the starter button and ............

Fired instantly, ran slicker than owl snot on a door knob.

So now test drive. INCREDIBLE.

At this point I would like to take the time to thank each and everyone of you on this forum. All of you are outstanding. Between you and my service manual I was confident enough to tackle this and claim the victory. The manual was a little vague on some things. You all filled the gaps. Couldn't have done it without you. Thank you.

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Re: Took the plunge

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 am

Congrats!

Tried to do mine and I missed a step somewhere - so back apart (when I can get the time in edgewise) and do it all over again. I think I didn't get the timing mark right. Bet once I get it right I won't do that mistake again :)

Don A
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Took the plunge

Postby Don A » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 am

Its an unforgetable experience. These guys are great help. I bet the same thing happened to you that kept happening to me.
Good luck and don't give up.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”