backfire and miss

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
grains
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 goldwing

backfire and miss

Postby grains » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 pm

I have been riding this year not nearly as much as I would like to. So when I get the chance, I like to go.Last ride, the bike fires up fine and idles good. but when I am getting up to speed. It appears that it is backfiring. Once I am just cruising, mostly it seems fine but there is still an occasional burp. a little choke seemed to help until it was thoroughly warmed up.
I had my wife out for the first time on the bike tonight and it was still backfiring but was livible until the way back when it seemed to miss even at higher speed. I have changed the filter and the fuel pump recently. It seems that this started after I put in premium gas. Would another dose of seafoam in the tank help or am I in for a carb rebuild?

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Re: backfire and miss

Postby zamboni920 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 am

Seems to me the easiest thing to check first are vacuum leaks. Hoses, intake seals/gaskets. Spray some brake clean, or even WD-40, around all potential vacuum leak areas. If choke helped, it might be running lean. Check spark plugs for proper color. If the plugs are out, you might as well check the sparks.....and also a compression test.

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:37 am

grains wrote:I have been riding this year not nearly as much as I would like to. So when I get the chance, I like to go.Last ride, the bike fires up fine and idles good. but when I am getting up to speed. It appears that it is backfiring. Once I am just cruising, mostly it seems fine but there is still an occasional burp. a little choke seemed to help until it was thoroughly warmed up.
I had my wife out for the first time on the bike tonight and it was still backfiring but was livible until the way back when it seemed to miss even at higher speed. I have changed the filter and the fuel pump recently. It seems that this started after I put in premium gas. Would another dose of seafoam in the tank help or am I in for a carb rebuild?

I have the exact same issue on my 84 - not resolved yet. Seafoam and some riding seems to have corrected the idle. It seems to need a lot of choke until warmed up, about 10 minutes, then idles fine. The "cough" as I call it, is so random it's confusing.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:05 am

These bikes are a little cold blooded. Stop and go or slow riding will cause choke use till warmed up to operating temp, or they will spit and cough if too little choke is used.
After warming up and they spit or cough or hesitate at lower RPM or pulling away from a stop, you probably need to do some internal carb cleaning. If they sat for a long time with fuel on board some of the pilot jet's and some of the passages may be blocked. Mine did this till cleaned up. Check my photos to see the passages clogged.
http://www.goldwingdocs.com/UserPicture ... erhaul_228
Seafoam and MMO didn't do it. Disassembly, carb cleaner and compressed air did the trick.

Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”