Headlight on GL1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
aladdin
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Headlight on GL1200

Postby aladdin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 am

Has anyone replaced the standard headlight bulb with a xenon bulb such as Phillips Extreme Power? If so did it make any real difference to the light? Which make/model of bulb did you use? thanks

GRAWER
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1200 SC 14

Re: Headlight on GL1200

Postby GRAWER » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 am

I mentioned but the Yamaha Majesty the Phipsa, alternator charging current is small and simple, more powerful, I could not wear, I bought the whole set 3 years ago and I'm happy, I think it will improve the quality of light with lower power lights, I assumed it to your GL.I live in mountainous terrain where the streets are narrow and winding, and will be way better lit.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I put a Sylvania Silver Star bulb in and there was a very noticeable difference in brightness.
I have always found that the lens and reflector configuration of the 1200 headlight left too much darkness close to the bike when on high beam and this bulb definitely helped. They do not use any more watts than the OEM bulb so if you are still using the stator for power that would be an issue.

aladdin

Postby aladdin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 am

I am considering converting to HID bulb, but my local auto-electrician says they would not be legal and would not pass a warrant of fitness as the dip will not focus properly in a standard headlight (not specifically made for them - too short a focal length). Has anyone else tried fitting an HID bulb into a GL1200?
The brightest (legal) alternative I have found so far is the Narva + 100 in an H3 base (100% more light, same wattage), or poss the Phillips 9007 X-treme halogen bulbs (claimed 80% more light) not sure on the base types they cover.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm

There is a fellow on the Steve Saunders forum, and also the GL1200 website with the user name William_86 that has converted to an HID light. A forum search at these sites might yield some info.
Apparently there are two kinds of HID systems, one using the HID bulb for low beam and both the HID and a conventional halogen bulb for high beam, since it takes some time for the HID lamp to come up to full brightness it makes no sense to turn it on and off all the time. The other system uses a servo which physically changes the location of the filament in relation to the reflector to obtain high and low beam. I don't know if there are focus issues with either.
The alternative, if you have enough power available (from an external alternator conversion) might be to run a pair of high power driving lights mounted from the crash bars or off the fairing mounts. These can be aimed help to illuminate the shoulders of the road a bit as well.

Feetup

wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

Postby wrightwing » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Look for posts on Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003. Probably on-line only, I can't find one in my local parts stores.
''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

aladdin

Postby aladdin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:59 pm

I now have the Narva + 120 (supposedly gives 120% more light than the4 standard 55/60w Halogen bulb. Light seems very yellow and not much brighter, although should be better in rain and mist apparently.

There is a fellow on the Steve Saunders forum, and also the GL1200 website with the user name William_86 that has converted to an HID light. A forum search at these sites might yield some info.
Apparently there are two kinds of HID systems, one using the HID bulb for low beam and both the HID and a conventional halogen bulb for high beam, since it takes some time for the HID lamp to come up to full brightness it makes no sense to turn it on and off all the time. The other system uses a servo which physically changes the location of the filament in relation to the reflector to obtain high and low beam. I don't know if there are focus issues with either.
The alternative, if you have enough power available (from an external alternator conversion) might be to run a pair of high power driving lights mounted from the crash bars or off the fairing mounts. These can be aimed help to illuminate the shoulders of the road a bit as well.

Thanks for that advice Feetup - I will check it out. I can understand the dip would need to remain on at all times to cover the delay in the main beam getting up to full power, but don't see why you would need to run a second (Halogen) bulb as well. In the meantime have bought a nice pair of spotties!!

aladdin

Postby aladdin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:01 pm

sorry for the last post, not familiar with using message boards

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”