1984 GL1200 Aspy: Starter cleanup questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

1984 GL1200 Aspy: Starter cleanup questions

Postby gof » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Ok. I was going to use Virgil's photos as a guide. Somehow, I got the starter out whole! I was goofing around and I think I rotated it upwards on its axis , up in back and down in front...unsure.

I could not get in back in whole, so I tried Virgil's assembly method...that failed. I went back to whole and somehow I got in in in one piece.

I did a decent job cleaning it. I noticed one pair of wires inside has no insulation, while the other two have cloth insulation. I did not want to wait any longer so I moved ahead.

When cold the bike starts so fast it barely has time to crank. I took a 20 mile ride and some slow riding back home. I let the fan kick on and tried starting the bike with the fan running. Although it does want to crank slightly slow, it fires right up even under the load of the fan. I "think" if I set the ignition switch to off, it cranks much faster.

So, if I have done something wrong, I am not totally opposed to redoing it. Thanks to the help from everyone here and some frustrating labor...it is at a stage now where I can get my valid plate Saturday and begin shakedown runs of 50 to 100 miles.
Tonight's 20 mile ride included 7 miles at 60+ just solid cruising smooth as butter. Hard to believe for a bike that was given up on and stored for 4 years. Who knows, maybe Honda put in a new stator before I bought it? Wishful thinking. Next issue will be stereo issues, but this baby is ROLLING!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”