Starter disaster need advice

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Starter disaster need advice

Postby gof » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 pm

So I bought the rebuild kit, but I don't see anyway to get this thing apart to use even half the bearings in it.

That being said I put in the new plate and brushes and now I have real problems.

Before I begin to tighten down the short screw ended part of the starter - the gear turns. Once I begin tightening down the screws I can no longer turn the gear. Its binding.

It seems like the main inner gear and the outer gears don't just spin evenly within themselves. Are they all circular?

I am stuck!

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Re: Starter disaster need advice

Postby gof » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 am

gof wrote:So I bought the rebuild kit, but I don't see anyway to get this thing apart to use even half the bearings in it.
That being said I put in the new plate and brushes and now I have real problems.
Before I begin to tighten down the short screw ended part of the starter - the gear turns. Once I begin tightening down the screws I can no longer turn the gear. Its binding.
It seems like the main inner gear and the outer gears don't just spin evenly within themselves. Are they all circular?
I am stuck!

The resolution for this is to assemble the two end pieces together first BEFORE inserting it onto the main gear on the starter.
This is the end of the starter that the actual final gear is that goes into the engine.
Do NOT attach the thru sleeve portion before the dual geared portion onto the starter body.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”