Alternator Conversion long term experiences - regrets?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
cjxj
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Alternator Conversion long term experiences - regrets?

Postby cjxj » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Newbee 1st post here along with apologies for bringing up such a well worn topic. But after hours of reading, I still have a couple of questions. So.... I'm a new owner of a very nice, low mileage 84 Aspencade. Purchased knowing it has bad stator, but priced accordingly. Trying to decide whether I'm taking the engine out to install a stator (has an open winding), or doing the alternator conversion. Have read lots of info and install reports, but struggling a bit with the idea of cutting an almost pristine vintage bike. Most comments I've noted were positive reports, but only after several hundred miles. What I've not found is long term usage comments. My questions specifically are as follows: 1) Does anyone regret doing this mod? 2) Do they all have noticeable whining noise? 3) Does running the larger pulley lower life expectancy of the alternator? 4) Any thoughts/comments from someone who's run this configuration for an extended period of time/miles? Thanks!

ScottRempel
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LE

Re: Alternator Conversion long term experiences - regrets?

Postby ScottRempel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 pm

I've only put a few hundred miles on my bike since the PoorBoy conversion, so can't address questions #3 and #4.

Re #2 about the whine, mine had a whine at first, and my friend who did the conversion felt the belt we used might be too short, so contacted Don about it and got this response: "What I have done is use a Gates belt # KO40315. It is according to the sleeve 32 1/4" long. It is a 4 rib belt & you need a 3 rib one. I cut one rib off. And before you say it hurts the belt I have talked to a Gates tech guy & was told it would not weaken the belt."

I can't hear it running at all now and haven't had any problems in the few hundred miles I've ridden.

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby trukr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I've had the alternator conversion on my 84 aspencade for 2 years now with no issues, flawless performance. Mine is not the poor boy conversion kit. A freind of mine made 2 brackets for the alternator to mount to, which was way cheaper, I am also running an alternator from a geo metro, which is way cheaper than the high performance alternators. Still runs 14.5 at 2500 rpms. I am also running a common vbelt and have no noise at all. Not sure what you mean about cutting on your wing, only cut I had to make was notching out the timing belt cover to mount the pulley to the crank. Then all I had to do was heat up the right side lower fairing and manipulate it just a little but to clear the alternator. Unless you are really looking for it you would never know it was there. Also had to tip the radiator out just a little bit at the bottom to let the belt clear.

djoyner
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Postby djoyner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:27 am

I too bought my '85 GL1200 knowing that it had a bad stator in March of 2010. I did the Poorboy conversion and have had no issues with it at all ( 2 years and 8k miles later).

1. I have no regrets
2. Mine does have a bit of a whine at about 2k RPM.
3. I dont' know the effect of a larger pulley on alternator life.

As far as cutting into the bike, most people can't tell that the conversion has been done (even after I show them where to look).

Here's a link to a picture of my conversion:

http://www.dennisjoyner.net/motorcycles/DSC02476.JPG
D J
2006 VTX 1300S
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate

Visit me at:[url http://www.dennisjoyner.net][/url]

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm collecting the parts to to the conversion.... Received the alternator from a 91 Geo Metro and a little disappointed to receive the Mitsubishi version. I know it's a little bit bigger around than the ND but I'll try to make it fit anyway. Probably in the next week or two..

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 am

:D Well it looks like you've made up your mind. Good luck let us know how it turns out :D

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:54 am

I am thinking of doing the same thing, here is a link to a complete kit someone sent me
http://www.dupli-tech.com/goldwing-alte ... ertor.html
Rick.....

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks! I think I prefer keeping it out of site. Will be mounting it inside the
lower cover.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 am

I put one on my 84 Int. about 3 years ago. I didn't use Poorboy's kit since I have the tools and skills to make my own and although my mounts are billet aluminum the general design is the same. I used a rebuilt ND unit from a Suzuki Swift done up by a local re builder with a good name for quality.

Do I like it? I love it! Every time I work on the bike in that area I realize that either very careful thought, and a certain amount of happy accident went into this. Even the Carb balance ports and Idle jet screws are still accessible!

I machined up a larger crankshaft pulley and although this might give me more output at idle it does make it impossible to remove the right side timing belt cover without removing the pulley. I have never red lined the bike so see no reason to worry about over revving the alternator.

Noise? Yes, a little. A light, soft whine that seems to transmit through the fairing mount a little. Really though, compared to the transmission with it's big square cut gears, or the Dunlop E III's with the big lugs, it is not a bad noise at all. Kind of turbine like. The belt sometimes made a clicking noise for a few minutes when first fired up after a cold or moist night but I changed it as a pre-trip caution and that noise never came back.

Cutting a vintage bike? Mine is in very good shape, and cutting away the small tube section of the fairing mount gave me pause but I don't regret it now. All of the very minor modifications are invisible. I have watched it closely and see no signs of stress or fatigue anywhere because of the change.

Most of all I can use oodles of electrical power such as electric clothing for two, lots of extra lighting and powerful driving lights with impunity. I still run at 14 volts with everything on and 13.7 at idle! What is more, it doesn't make power I don't use and then turn it to heat like the stock system with it's shunt regulator.

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for the response! I too have tooling and welding equip, and will be fabricating my own setup. Although I do have a small lathe, I'm not real confident about manually machining a serpentine belt pulley from scratch. So...I found a 3 rib junkyard pulley that's a bit under 4" but with a good amount of meat in the hub area. So, I'll open it up a bit and spin out an adapter to mate it to the crank as close to the belt covers as possible. I'll go ahead and try to see if the mitsubishi alternator I have fits. If it interferes, I'll find a ND. Now, If life would slow down a bit so I can have some garage time....

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Postby baba67 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:35 am

I installed the poorboy kit approx. 2 years ago...12000/15000 miles with no problems what so ever.
It was well worth the saturday morning it required to do the install
I would recommend the conversion to everyone.
After two stator replacements...This is definately worth the effort...
If I don't mention the install, Most people don't even know it is modified.
No Regrets.....

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and did the conversion. It was more work than I expected, but I'm happy with the results.

ddrichard
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade

Postby ddrichard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 pm

been watching from the sidelines. glad to hear you went the conversion route, did mine last winter , put about 1000 km on v-belt with no issues except a final adjustment after break in. :D .keep us informed .how's your volts at the battery now? :?:

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

I ended up using a 2 in pulley. At idle the voltage drops to about 11.9, but once on my way it stays pretty rock solid at 14.2.

SquatchonaBike
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2012 Triumph Tiger800xc
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Postby SquatchonaBike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Sorry, I know the etiquette of reviving an old dead post, but..

Noob to the forum here. Sorry if I haven't posted an intro yet, but this really peaked my interest.

Is the reason for the extreme underdriving of the alternator to prevent over revving it during normal operation? Seems to be a pretty low spin and output at idle for such large alternators. Has anyone made it put out the correct voltage at idle, ie 13 ish or higher. It would also be possible to use an older alternator such as ford with an external regulator and adjust it so it doesn't output to high. I plan this on my GW project bike.

Just some thoughts. Carry on. LOL

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I understand the current kit from PoorBoy includes a 3.5 in pulley which works better at idle. I started my diy project trying to use 4 inch pulley and did not like what I was going to have to do to make it fit behind/under the stock radiator/fan. After struggling with it for a while, I took the 2 inch pulley off of another alternator I had sitting there and it fit easily with very minimal trimming. I was anxious to finish up the project so I went with it, knowing that many people have run 2 inch pulleys without problems. Although it's been about 7 months now since the conversion, I've only ridden about 1000 miles (Colorado in winter). However, those 1000 miles have mostly been around town with plenty of stop and go and it has not been a problem. It jumps back to 14.2 volts as soon as I take off. Would I prefer that it charged better at idle? Probably, but given the "non-problem" it's been so far, I'm thinking it is not likely I'll ever try to "fix" it. I've noticed that a lot of other bikes behave that way from the factory anyway.....

cjxj
2001 Honda Shadow
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Postby cjxj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm

SquatchonaBike, I realized I didn't answer a couple of your questions. In my case, the alternator is driven 1-1 only due to lack of room for a much larger crank pulley without moving stuff around and cutting, moving the radiator further forward, etc. No other operation reason for it as far as I'm concerned. The internal regulator does it's job in limiting the output to the correct levels at all speeds above idle. The ND geo metro alternator is the one of choice because it it quite small and can fit inside the side shrouds, undetectable to the casual observer. I'm not aware of another readily available alternator that is this small. You really don't have room for anything much bigger. Mine does not touch anything.

gravygrabber
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200

Postby gravygrabber » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 pm

How big is the ND alternator? I have a good sized ND off an Odyssey minivan I want to use for mine.

Fastymz
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby Fastymz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 am

I installed the poor boys conversion in March. I've put about 500miles on it so far. No issues so far, yes it has a slight whine above 2k but I think it sounds cool. I use the 3.5" pully and the metro ND alternator I have 13.5 @ idle and 14.5 above idle. I did have to do some trimming on the faring but once the faring is on you dont notice the alternator at all.

unamush56
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 1200

Postby unamush56 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm

I have a 1986 Interstate 1200. It has every extra light that you can put on it. And the trailer has 10 lights on it. My poor bike just can not produce enough juice to run it all. Where can i get this Alternator Conversion kit and how much will it set me back.

electrical magic
Motorcycle: 1982 suzuki 850 g

Postby electrical magic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:45 am

new member here..........

sorry to say i do not have a goldwing honda.......... but i do need help !

i have a 1982 suzuki gs 850 g......... the stator ngets so hot that one can boil water..... (QUICKLY) IT IS REALLY BAD .
so i want to install an alternator i have everything i need to do this with.........

EVERYTHING EXCEPT HOW TO WIRE IT ALL UP .........

ON THE ALTERNATORS :
some have 3 wires & some have 1 wire ?????????? which one do i need ?
is it that the hot lead goes to the hot battery & any other to a ground ?
is that it ?
i guess i need an alternator with the reg/rec already in the alternator.......... is that it ??

i really do not care if it sticks out like a sore thumb....... i plan to put a dust bin-MONDIAL style fairing around thsi gs 850 g .
all i need now to be ready to install is the alternator i will use ( most likely a geo metro 4" alternator) & how to wire it so it works .

on the 850 i will machine a bearing mount & extend the stator shaft so it sticks out of the stator side cover just enough to mount a pulley .
the stator shaft extention will ride on a sealed oil bearing so as to seal the oil .......... I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOY THIS ! IT MUST BE DONE.
THE STATOR HAS GOT TO GO .
please email me with the proper way to wire the alternator to the charging system at

alpharosao@yahoo.com

thank you very much for your time !

AL.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:42 am

A one-wire alternator is very simple to hook up: The single connection gets wired directly to the battery positive terminal.

A three-wire alternator has three terminals: Field, Sense and Batt. The field (exciter) connection gets switched to a SWITCHED +12v power source, i.e. your ignition switch. This is what turns the alternator on.

Sense gets connected back to your main power distribution point - the fused side of your main (unswitched) fuse block feed is a good place. It is used to determine your system's bus voltage, and uses this measurement to decide how much regulated voltage to put out.

The Batt line gets connected directly to the battery positive terminal, and is used to actually output generated power.

electrical magic
Motorcycle: 1982 suzuki 850 g

Postby electrical magic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 pm

well............ that seems easy enough !

1 positive wire to the + battery post & let the alternator housing account for the ground .

i guess i am going to have to get the single wire geo-metro alternator for my application .

so a 1 wire alternator like thge geo-metro has the regulator/rectifier built in ?

greetings glad to meet you people........!
thanks for the good info !

AL.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 pm

electrical magic wrote:well............ that seems easy enough !

1 positive wire to the + battery post & let the alternator housing account for the ground .

i guess i am going to have to get the single wire geo-metro alternator for my application .

so a 1 wire alternator like thge geo-metro has the regulator/rectifier built in ?

greetings glad to meet you people........!
thanks for the good info !

AL.

Pretty much any automotive alternator made in the last 50 years has the regulator/rectifier built into it.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:30 pm

electrical magic wrote:new member here..........

sorry to say i do not have a goldwing honda.......... but i do need help !

i have a 1982 suzuki gs 850 g......... the stator ngets so hot that one can boil water..... (QUICKLY) IT IS REALLY BAD .
so i want to install an alternator i have everything i need to do this with.........

EVERYTHING EXCEPT HOW TO WIRE IT ALL UP .........

ON THE ALTERNATORS :
some have 3 wires & some have 1 wire ?????????? which one do i need ?
is it that the hot lead goes to the hot battery & any other to a ground ?
is that it ?
i guess i need an alternator with the reg/rec already in the alternator.......... is that it ??

i really do not care if it sticks out like a sore thumb....... i plan to put a dust bin-MONDIAL style fairing around thsi gs 850 g .
all i need now to be ready to install is the alternator i will use ( most likely a geo metro 4" alternator) & how to wire it so it works .

on the 850 i will machine a bearing mount & extend the stator shaft so it sticks out of the stator side cover just enough to mount a pulley .
the stator shaft extention will ride on a sealed oil bearing so as to seal the oil .......... I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOY THIS ! IT MUST BE DONE.
THE STATOR HAS GOT TO GO .
please email me with the proper way to wire the alternator to the charging system at

alpharosao@yahoo.com

thank you very much for your time !

AL.

You should visit the GSresources forum website and post your issues over there.
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

As an owner of a GS850GL I know your concerns about the R & R but the people on the site recommend a sh775 regulator Rectifier and a new stator to eliminate many of the charging problems with the old GS bikes. Fixing all your connections also will help by eliminating electrical draw and heat build up due to resistance .

Before you re-invent the wheel completely...you should find a way to make the one you already work better...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”