First time changing the fuel filer and got a nasty suprise

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

First time changing the fuel filer and got a nasty suprise

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 pm

After reading all about the issues with the fuel filter I decided it was best to change mine. I don’t have a nappa near me so I went to autozone and bought a universal that was close in size to the original $4.77 not a bad price for one near the same size. While I was at it I decided it would be best to replace the fuel lines going from the tank to the filter and the filer to the pump 2’ of line $1.27. Not bad!! I shut off the petcock and removed the line to the filter started the bike and let her run till she died from starvation. Disconnected the negative terminal to the battery and took off the side covers and the fuel pump cover. Cut the line to size leaving a little extra hose about ¼ of an inch on each. Replaced the squeeze clamps with the screw belt type. Good thing too as the one on the fuel pump was rusted off. The only thing with the fuel filter was it was a little bigger than the clamp that holds it but adding a slightly larger screw fixed that right quick. The next thing I did was feed the line through to the other side and set to lock the holder in place well the dam nut fell off and landed who knows where. I have to buy one tomorrow and secure it. Fit the hose to the petcock and started her up after a few moments I could see the fuel filling the filter and she was purring like a kitten.

Once I got everything buttoned up I decided to open the old filter and sure enough I had a melted and nasty fuel filter like so many others. Riding her home I noticed that she has a lil more pep in her step. It was almost un-nerving the difference. .

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”