Speedo doesn't work and turn signals won't self cancel

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Joshua
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Speedo doesn't work and turn signals won't self cancel

Postby Joshua » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am

The other day I pulled out of the driveway and noticed the speedo wasn't working. As I turned the corner at the end of the street found that the turn signals don't self cancel either. Had places to be so I kept on motoring. As I went down the road I took notice that the radio volume had to be turned up in order to be as loud as it normally is. Hmmmm. I made it to my destination and on the way back, suddenly the radio became very loud. I looked down at it and noticed the speedo began to work again as well. I then tried the turns and they too self canclled. Soon enough the speedo cut out, the radio became quite again and the turns didn't self cancel. This problem persisted all the way home, sometimes it would come on then back off, others the speedo would begin to register but only a few mph and cut back out. I figured it must be a bad ground somewhere, that all three items must ground together someplace. I broke out the schematic and found they don't. I know the turns won't self cancel without the speedo working but the radio thing has got me thrown off here. Can someone please give me so help?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Speedo doesn't work and turn signals won't self cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

I'm assuming the radio has an auto-volume control like my 1500, where it gets louder at higher speeds.

If your speed sensor stops sending speed information, all of the things you mention will start to happen. Have a look at your speed sensor and see if it is worn or not engaging the wheel properly.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm with Wing admin on this one. I think all the electrical gadgets use the speedo sensor to control the canceling of the indicators and the volume of the radio. If just the speedo stopped working I would say bad speedo, but as the stereo and indicators and speedo have stopped working, it has to be the speedo sensor.. I assume it's an electrical sensor by the wheel, if you had lost the magnet in the wheel, there is no way it could suddenly start working again, so I think you have a bad sensor or bad wiring from the sensor to the rest of the bikes electrics. I would start by finding the senor and follow the wiring to check for damage to the wires or corroded connections. If everything looks good, then I would be looking to order a new sensor from Honda (A second had unit might be as bad as your current sensor!!).

Gary

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:14 pm

When the speedo cable on my 1500 quit working the signals would not self cancel, the cruise did not work and the radio AVC didn't work either. All these things need to see a speed at the speedometer to work.

In my case the problem turned out to be the plastic gear in the speedo housing on the wheel. To me it sounds like that is your problem too. You've worn a gear flute off of the plastic and it's only engaging occasionally.

Not sure on the speedo set up on the 1200 but the 1500 is all mechanical as far as how it's driven with a connecting cable to the cluster and electronics from there. I'm assuming the 1200 is the same type of system.

I'm betting your problem is related to the speedo cable and it's related drive parts. I would start at the wheel. Disconnect the speedo cable, raise the front wheel up and give it a spin to see what happens. Put your finger on the metal tab and you'll likely feel it bouncing in and out. It shouldn't do that.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm

cbx4evr is correct. The speedo gearbox failure will cause both symptoms you mention. Remove the wheel, bottom end of the speedo cable and take the speedo gearbox in your hand and spin it's ring gear and observe the output inside the cable connector. I'm sure you'll see that it's either completely non working or rough and intermittent at best. If so, the gear is gone any you'll need a new assembly since as far as I know the plastic worm gear is not available individually. I've just experienced the exact same thing myself on mine.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:20 pm

tom84std wrote:If so, the gear is gone any you'll need a new assembly since as far as I know the plastic worm gear is not available individually. I've just experienced the exact same thing myself on mine.

Actually the plastic gear is available as a separate part. PArt number for the 1200 is: 44806-ML8-701

What happened to me is that I replaced the plastic gear, put everything back together and within 5 miles the speedo quit working again. Took it apart yet again only to find that now the metal tab that spins the cable had broke off. Ended up having to buy the whole box assembly anyway.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

lovemyzx9r
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Postby lovemyzx9r » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

i just finished changing the speedo drive for the 3rd time on our 84 1200 and i think a worn cable will cause premature failure of the speedo drive assembly i.e. a broken tab. would suggest changing the cable when you change your drive assembly. its kind of a job but at 70 bucks a piece for the drive it is a good idea. i noticed the new cable was significantly tighter in the drive. the cable pulses a little and i think that wears the plastic on the cable end.

Joshua
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Postby Joshua » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you everyone. The same time I posted this, it hit me about the volume thing. I knew the Speedo and turn signal issue were tied together but the radio thing had me fumbling. As I stood in the shop staring at the bike it came to me and I felt foolish. I did a little research and found that to check the Speedo I need test voltage across the two brown wires, five volts, eight times each revolution of the sensor. No change in voltage. But my question is still this; is the green wire to the sensor supposed to have voltage? Mine does not. I know Honda uses green as ground so maybe it is ground. Can anyone tell me?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:21 am

That's not what my GL1200 manual says:

SPEED SENSOR INSPECTION
Disconnect the speed sensor from the speedometer gearbox.
Connect a voltmeter across the Green/Black and Black/Yellow terminals of the sensor white 3P coupler.
Turn the ignition switch to ON.
The sensor is normal if the voltmeter needle swings from 0 to about 5V slowly eight times when the sensor drive shaft is turned gradually one full turn.

firebringer
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby firebringer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello! I showed up here earlier this week because my 1200A had the exact same problem. I took mine apart and there was moisture in the unit and some gunk on the "read head". I wiped it off with rubbing alcohol, reassembled and put 100 miles on it this afternoon, problem solved. I'll post if it fails again. Thanks!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”