WHEEL BEAD LEAKING !!!!!!!!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

WHEEL BEAD LEAKING !!!!!!!!

Postby wrightwing » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 pm

May of 2011, I had new Elite 3s mounted, and valve steams on my bike. MobileMotorcycleTireService.com (Chet) mounted these tires. He soaped the tires and rims up pretty good. I told him at that time, that was not recommended. I don't remember his exact words, doesn't matter! Early spring of this year 2012 april, not checking the air, took it out to blow out the cobwebs. The bike wouldn't hardly steer, turned around, got home, checked the air, it didn't even show on the tire gauge, aired up, off we go. When I got back home, I got out the water bottle, and started squirtin, leaked around the stems. After closer inspection, I noticed corrosion all around the stems. I took them off, went to my local bike shop, (ASK), in Grove City Ohio, had them broken down, they were full of, yeah, you guessed it WHITE STUFF,not good. They wire wheeled the inside, and bead, used some sand paper in the valve stem hole, remounted with probably the same crap. Now there leaking again, but not as bad. They want to charge me to break them down again. Anyhow. If I do this, do you guys think, if I took some Scotch-Brite, and WD40, clean the beads, wipe them down, and used STP Son of a gun, like WingAdim recommends, will this solve the problem ? I really don't think there pitted bad. Sorry for the long post. TICKED OFF :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: WHEEL BEAD LEAKING !!!!!!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 am

If they're pitted bad enough to leak like that, I'd use some bead sealant before re-mounting. It's stuff meant specifically for this sort of problem.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”