...PLEASE HELP..85 Goldwing ltd FUEL PROBLEM

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ecracer21
Motorcycle: 85 honda goldwing limited edition

...PLEASE HELP..85 Goldwing ltd FUEL PROBLEM

Postby ecracer21 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 pm

hi and thanks for letting me post a message...i appreciate all info and answers..

I bought a 1985 Honda Goldwing Ltd w/ Sidecar only has 13,000 orig miles....Nice bike and cant wait to ride it...Well when i bought it some mechanic so he says had the fuel system all ripped apart...

I am having a fuel pump problem..Bought the bike and mechanic lost original fuel pump and the banjo bolt/line that runs to the filter...

I just bought a new airtex e8000 fuel pump and now am having a problems trying to get the fuel pump line to the filter...

The fuel pump has a hose barb on one side and a threaded male end on the other side of it.....I worked on lots of hondas before and now i am stumped because I am missing original parts I guess...Not sure what I can do...

I could get a new fuel line w/ banjo bolts but the fuel pump does not have a female end to put a banjo bolt on it....ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS...I sure would appreciate it...

thanks alot for your time and understanding....

I LOVE THE BIKE JUST GETTING A LITTLE FRUSTRATED...Keep ur eyes open she might be for sale LOL.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ...PLEASE HELP..85 Goldwing ltd FUEL PROBLEM

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm

As you've discovered, the OEM pump has a barb for the input, and a banjo fitting for the (high pressure) output:

OEM pump
OEM pump

I don't know what the threaded output fitting is on the Airtex pump, but from reading around on Google, it appears that GL1200 owners who have installed that pump have just replaced the fuel line, so that the replacement line screws onto the fitting of the Airtex. Someone who has done this themselves may have more insight.

ecracer21

Postby ecracer21 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:04 pm

thanks for the info much appreciated..
i did attach a pic of the pump i bought..
airtex e8000 fuel pump
airtex e8000 fuel pump

i will have to take the pump right to the auto or hardware store and try to get a fuel line, just tough to find sonething with banjo fitting on one side for fuel filter and threaded end for the pump side...but if someone has done it then they must make it..

where exactly does the fuel pump wires go to, is there a connector under seat or on the side of the bike ??????? I know its suppose to hook up to brown and green wires but I cant find the connector...

the guy i bought it from said his friend was a good mechanic well every mechanic i know does not misplace things like that ecspecially working on someone elses bike..i am missing fuel pump the brackets that hold it on, even missing the chrome piece that covers it and all the lines...

I did get the original limited gl1200 service manual and the wire schematic on the back is scary looking, it folds out of the book and is like 2' x 2' its pretty neat though.

thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 pm

From what I read, the Airtex pump is a bit smaller than the OEM pump, so some bushings or other material to build-up the pump diameter needs to be used to get it to fit into the OEM bracket. Either that, or fabricate your own bracket custom for the new pump.

ecracer21

Postby ecracer21 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm

thanks for info...i did finally get it figured out and the peice I was missing was a little cap/nut that holds the fuel line to the pressure side of the pump...i have never seen one before but a buddy of mine at an old honda shop here on the east coast told me about it and he had one on the bench...i was lucky to find one, kinda odd because if its wasnt for bad luck i wouldnt have any.. :mrgreen:

well apreciate all the thoughts and hopefully i will have this ol girl up and runnin again as soon as i get a chance to get to it..

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”