Fork Oil

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Don A
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Fork Oil

Postby Don A » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am

Someone made mention on here that you don't have to remove the forks to change the oil in them. I've got an 87 Aspencade and for the life of me I don't see a way to do it. Is it possible, if so HOW.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Re: Fork Oil

Postby feetup » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 pm

It can be done. The drain screw is at the bottom of the anti-dive valve. You will have to move some of the control cables/wires out of the way, and you will have to remove the handlebars and lay them on a blanket on the shelter. Mark them and the caps to get them back in the same location. The fork caps can then be removed.
You can fill them by quantity of oil, or you can fill till the oil level is 5.5" below the top with the spring removed, and the fork fully extended. This is what Progressive recommends.
If you attempt this way, be sure to support the front of the bike on the center stand with a jack before you remove the top caps. also be sure there is no air pressure in the forks. Be ready for the caps to jump a bit by using constant down pressure when removing them. This also keeps from damaging the last thread on both cap and fork tube.
It is sometimes difficult to replace the caps, especially with the stock springs since there is a fair bit of pre-load on the springs. Some like to climb right up on the bike and push down with a good deal of force when removing or replacing the cap. If you have progressive springs which are stiffer, but shorter it is much easier to get the cap started. A socket with an extension and a "T" bar or "L" bar seem to work best, since the extension helps to position you higher, and helps line up the cap with the fork tube to prevent cross threading.

I have read of someone draining the old oil and then disconnecting the air line to allow pressure to escape and forcing the measured quantity of the new oil in through the same drain hole allowing the air to escape through the disconnected line. One could use a rubber tipped pressure oiler or could make up a fitting by center drilling a bolt of the same diameter and thread as the drain plug, but longer, with a hose on the end connected to a pressure oiler. A little harder to get the quantity of oil correct and equal.

Don A
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Fork Oil

Postby Don A » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Thank you so much. I knew someone on this site would have the answer I needed. You guys are awesome.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”