gl1200i wont start

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

gl1200i wont start

Postby ron1731 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 am

went to start my 86' interstate wouldn't start, no lights, nothing! checked battery and terminals all ok, checked fuses in tank compartment all ok, bike is in neutral and kill switch is in on-start position, turn key normally hear radiator fan run but nothing now, not even the lights on dash. where do i need to start? is there another fuse panel somewhere? is there a plug in ignition system that I need to check on. just bought 4 months ago and have been working on replacing parts- seat, shocks, brakes, storage boxes, etc. trying to restore somewhat next project was going to be paint and front fork replacements but now need to check over electrical, I have a clymers repair manual for a guide on how to dissasemble to repair or replace but need to know where I need to start looking. any help would be greatly appreciated! was planning to ride a lot this weekend.

Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Re: gl1200i wont start

Postby kwild » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm

To the right of your battery is the starter solenoid. There is a 30amp dog-bone fuse. flip down the small cover and check the fuse. Take the fuse out and inspect, it may look OK inside the holder, but it''s probably broken. Replace it and you'll be good. Here's what I found on mine.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 am

Many, or even most folks have eliminated that fuse, replacing it with an inline automotive blade type, 30 amp fuse. More dependable, and most of all, very available.

Do a search on "dogbone" or "dog bone" fuse on this or any of the other goldwing websites, there is a ton of info on this fuse.

Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Interstate

Postby willboy57 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:10 am

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I had already changed out the dogbone fuse to a blade and soldered the stator plug. Fired it up one day and hit the kill switch by mistake; went to hit the starter button again and.....nothing....and I mean nothing. Found out the battery had sulfated and was kaput, even though it showed a full charge. Replaced the battery and I was good to go.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”