Opinions please

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links

Does this actually work?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Great Idea
75%
Looks OK
25%
Nice try but no
No votes
What the Heck did you do to your bike, BOZO.
No votes

Total votes: 4

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Opinions please

Postby WVJefo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi all;

Picked up my 85 Aspen not even 6 weeks ago and my first Wensday bike night I lose the left side cover. On the highway, doing 70+ & watched the Dodge Ram crush it.

Here were my choices.
1 Pay 200 for replacment that doesn't match bike
2 Pay about 100 for ONE blank & hope to match the paint ( then paint )
3 Get two blanks for couple hundred. ( paint )
4 GET CREATIVE

I choose 4. Took a couple of tries but this may work.

I used Aluminium 16 gauge sheet which I am learning may be a mistake. Hard to paint & hard to put a high polish on. BUT NOW i know how. So, I can use steel and just get it chrome plated.

BUT it is bolted on. No losing it on the highway ever again
Attachments

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: Opinions please

Postby seabee_ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:52 pm

If you prep the surface it will hold paint. Clean it with a degreaser, spray on a self-etching primer, wet sand it, clean again and paint. Most new vehicles have aluminum hoods and they hold paint well. It's all in surface prep.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

jefferson
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby jefferson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 am

hi there....I lost my left side cover just after buying my 85 a few years ago. I was screaming fast to an outdoor concert. It also may have been stolen there after seeing the repacement cost. Lost or stolen it was gone. I forked over the 250 shipped price and repainted as close as possible. I then epoxied a lightweight chain to the inside of the left and right covers and then anchored both with chains to the frame. Also bought all new grommets(cheap) to hold them better. Now I know they cannot be stolen or fly off. I never have to go through the hell and cost of repainting a repacement cover. I advise each of you to attach your covers NOW...save big cash and an even bigger pain in the ass painting project .....Jeff

PS....I love the bike and it is finally starting to shift smoothly. Changed the oil about 3-4 times a year for 3 years now. It has finally cleaned the damage done by previous owner running the wrong oil (enviromental). I tried all different oils thinking it was just not the right match for the bike. No it was just gummed up. I found the first real sign of improvement came with Canadian Tire Motorcycle oil so i am sticking with it. Now shifting is so much better and the bike just purrs. Replaced radio combo with a perfect original and added way better speakers. I now have $4500 total invested. This includes the cost of the bike, new high end tires, new brakes, tuneup, relacement radio, speakers, side cover +grommets. Got insurance for a year for $330 after applying for collector status. This is worry proof biking for an extremely cheap price.

aladdin
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Postby aladdin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 am

Hi Jeferson
seabee_ wrote:I love the bike and it is finally starting to shift smoothly. Changed the oil about 3-4 times a year for 3 years now. It has finally cleaned the damage done by previous owner running the wrong oil (enviromental). I tried all different oils thinking it was just not the right match for the bike. No it was just gummed up. I found the first real sign of improvement came with Canadian Tire Motorcycle oil so i am sticking with it. Now shifting is so much better and the bike just purrs

Did you do both engine and gearbox, and if so what oil for the gearbox? Mine is quite clunky going into first from neutral, not bad from there up, esp if I just snick it really quickly into second under 2000 rpm otherwise ker-lunk, yep, theres second.

jefferson

Postby jefferson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi There: Because it is a wet clutch one change covers all. I have used Honda, Mobile 1, Rotella,Valvoline and Canadian Tire Motomaster Formula 1. I used the Motomaster 20/50 for several changes and tried the 10/40 this last change. The bike motor and clutch seemed to love it. I can tell when it needs a change as the engine is a tad noisier than usual and changing gears is not as smooth as before. 1st to 2nd on mine is a challenge when you really push excelleration. It is almost essential to preload into 2nd gear at any speed. ie. put positive pressure on the shifter before giving it the little extra to change gears. Going into 1st from neutral is always a clucky noisy affair...just a natural occurence. Of coarse if your neutral idle speed is too great it will be accentuated.
Honda never went all out to build a Rolls Royce of a tranny but it will last and last if treated well. The non additive, non conservation symbol, motorcycle specific oil is mandatory otherwise its a wreck. Mine is nearly to 100% now and bet another change or two will mean less often changes. I did add Sea Foam before 1 change but cannot/did not create a miracle for me. Juries out on that. Happy biking on a great old bike....Jeff

jefferson

Postby jefferson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm

just to let you know....the motomaster Formula One(1) oil from Canadian Tire is motorcycle specific. It has a picture of a motorcycle on the bottle. Made for bikes. Try all sorts of brands and 10/40 and 20/50 till you find something your bike likes. If the clutches have been contaminated by some cheap CS using enviro stamped oil ...like my previous owner...numerous rides to get it hot and numerous oil changes will make a difference...at least it sure did for me....later pal.

aladdin
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Postby aladdin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 am

Hi Jefferson
I have added Moreys oil stabilizer to the engine oil, never thought about its effect on the clutch - I didn't realise they shared the same oil. Moreys makes the oil stickier and smoother - the engine is noticeably quieter and smoother, but the extra 'stickiness' would explain the slightly clunky clutch. Apart from changing into first from neutral all other changes are fine, except changing into second is a bit of a clunk if not done really early (around 2500 rpm). I have also found that changing up when not still accelerating is a definite clunker too!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”