Right front Caliper Brake Line

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Right front Caliper Brake Line

Postby Possum51 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:55 am

I recently had back surgery so I've parked the GL1200 I and have been repairing all the little things. I noticed the other day that there is a like new brake line for the right front caliper (right side as you sit on the bike) and then while doing repairs to the fairing I noticed that the brakeline is not connected to the front master cylinder and is just zip tied to the wiring under the fairing. The left front caliper works fine, I don't know yet if there is a problem with the right frt caliper or if they just didn't have the right banjo bolt. Are both front calipers suppose to connect to the front master cylinder and is so where would I find the right lenght banjo bolt? Any help would be great. I've only had the GW for a couple months, It runs good but no doubt in the fact it was rode hard and put away wet by the PO. So I'm sure as I go along I'll find other "surprises". Oh also, has anyone ever used Caltric brake pads?

Rick.....

Possum51

Re: Right front Caliper Brake Line

Postby Possum51 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:12 pm

After doing some research on this site I've found out that my GL1200I has a intergraded brake system and its been modified by the PO. So now when my back heals enough I'll have to dig into it and figure out what was modified and what I need to fix it. Bummer :o
Rick.....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Possum51 wrote:I recently had back surgery so I've parked the GL1200 I and have been repairing all the little things. I noticed the other day that there is a like new brake line for the right front caliper (right side as you sit on the bike) and then while doing repairs to the fairing I noticed that the brakeline is not connected to the front master cylinder and is just zip tied to the wiring under the fairing. The left front caliper works fine, I don't know yet if there is a problem with the right frt caliper or if they just didn't have the right banjo bolt. Are both front calipers suppose to connect to the front master cylinder and is so where would I find the right lenght banjo bolt? Any help would be great. I've only had the GW for a couple months, It runs good but no doubt in the fact it was rode hard and put away wet by the PO. So I'm sure as I go along I'll find other "surprises". Oh also, has anyone ever used Caltric brake pads?

The GL1200 has linked brakes - the front master cylinder operates only the left front caliper, and the foot pedal operates the rear caliper as well as the right front caliper. It appears that someone at some point along the way disconnected your right front caliper.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:51 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Possum51 wrote:I recently had back surgery so I've parked the GL1200 I and have been repairing all the little things. I noticed the other day that there is a like new brake line for the right front caliper (right side as you sit on the bike) and then while doing repairs to the fairing I noticed that the brakeline is not connected to the front master cylinder and is just zip tied to the wiring under the fairing. The left front caliper works fine, I don't know yet if there is a problem with the right frt caliper or if they just didn't have the right banjo bolt. Are both front calipers suppose to connect to the front master cylinder and is so where would I find the right lenght banjo bolt? Any help would be great. I've only had the GW for a couple months, It runs good but no doubt in the fact it was rode hard and put away wet by the PO. So I'm sure as I go along I'll find other "surprises". Oh also, has anyone ever used Caltric brake pads?

The GL1200 has linked brakes - the front master cylinder operates only the left front caliper, and the foot pedal operates the rear caliper as well as the right front caliper. It appears that someone at some point along the way disconnected your right front caliper.
the front brake handle only works the left front caliper as it should and the pedal only works the rear brake and its spongey until you pump it a few times. I may be looking at rebuilding that whole rear system....
Rick.....

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:12 pm

The RF line must also be disconnected at the rear master cylinder. Wonder what the hole is plugged with? That may be causing you leakage or air issues.

Getting proper banjo bolts shouldn't be a problem. Reconnecting the line as it should be is probably the best solution.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:46 pm

cbx4evr wrote:The RF line must also be disconnected at the rear master cylinder. Wonder what the hole is plugged with? That may be causing you leakage or air issues.

Getting proper banjo bolts shouldn't be a problem. Reconnecting the line as it should be is probably the best solution.

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines, as soon as I heal up enough I'll tare into it and see what the PO did.

Rick.....

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”