ignition switch replacement - testing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ron1731
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

ignition switch replacement - testing

Postby ron1731 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 am

My 86' interstate wont start, no dash lights nothing, i suspect the ignition switch (key Switch) I have a clymers manual but it does not have any info on how to remove or test the ignition switch. anyone done this before have any suggestions? I have check the battery and all the fuses all ok, I am in the process today of stripping the false tank off so I can trace the wiring harness to be sure there are no melted or pinched, damaged wires. I think I read somewhere you can clean up the ignition switch terminals? is this possible? thanks for any help you may be able to give.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ignition switch replacement - testing

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Do you have no electrical power at all? If so, first thing to check is your master fuse. Normally the ignition switches don't go all at once, they start getting temperamental, where wiggling it will get it to work again.

ron1731

Postby ron1731 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 am

after tracing out the wiring I located the problem (I think), I found a carroded connection in the plug leading directly to/from the ignition switch before it goes to the ignition module (box). I cleaned the terminals with electronic terminal cleaner spray and that seems to have solved the problem for now, I did notice that the key does have to be in "just the right position" to start the bike, so am going to check into possibly changing the ignition afterall. thanks for the reply. I have found so much good info on this forum, it really helps to hear from other people who have had experiance working on these great older bikes. I hope to have mine repainted yet this fall then I should be about 90% restored. Hope to located some minor pieces that need replaced this winter at swap meets or online.

briang
Motorcycle: 1981 honda Goldwing

Postby briang » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:03 pm

I have an 85 aspencade. Lights come on, dash turns on and when I hit the start button the lights go dim, and engine does not turn over. replaced the solenoid switch and a new battery, no luck. Any ideas guys? HELP lol

ron1731

Postby ron1731 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I had corrosion on the plug leading from the ignition switch, it is located on the right side of the ignition switch under the rubber flap, if that looks ok you may want to check the ignition module located under the false tank at the front between the ignition switch and the gas tank. If that checks out it sounds like you may have a wire shorted out

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”