Running hot Help!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
j.maclean
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Running hot Help!

Postby j.maclean » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

I have a 84 Aspencade and and it running hot. I am kind of stumped as what it could be..here is some history on the bike...last April I had a major overhaul by a local shop, what was done was head gaskets, oem water pump & seal kit, carbs, timing belts, new exhaust. I was able to put lots of trouble free miles on the ol' wing with no temperature issues, bike was go as high as 6 bars but then eventually drop down to 4 bars when on a highway cruise. When the bike had the overhaul, the thermostat was not replaced as it was replaced the prior season (aftermarket purchased at carquest) and was working fine.

This season unfortunately I wasn't able to get in as much riding as I would like but when I did have it out, everything worked fine, until 2 weeks ago, it started getting hot, so I added coolant to the reservoir, I took it for a run then the next day added another 350ml bottle to the reservoir, had it out for another run, then topped up the reservoir one last time so I added roughly a little over a liter of coolant to the reservoir over 3 rides.

A few days after topping up the reservoir the last time I hit the highway to take it over to the shop to have the front tire changed, temperature seemed fine, at one point it even dropped down to 3 bars which I found strange as it was a warm day..then all of a sudden I had coolant gushing out of the reservoir and the temperature gauge shot all the way up to 10 bars before I even had a chance to pull over and let it cool down..I nursed it over to the shop pulling over a few times to let it cool down before hitting red line again!

When speaking to my mechanic it was determined that it has to be the thermostat as everything else had been repaired and the thermostat is the only part that wasn't changed to oem, so I ordered a honda thermostat, they replaced it, flushed the rad etc and was given back to me with a clean bill of health..but now when riding I am having coolant backing up to the reservoir and coming out the drain tube at the bottom of the bike when the bike gets hot and this evening when riding and it was cool outside (55 F) the bike hit 7 bars after coming off the highway and cruising through town with the fan on and when getting back on the highway the temp only went down as far as 6 bars...back when I first had the overhaul done it would have been at 4 bars on a cool night like this.

I know its a long story but I am at my wits end and can't spend any more on the old girl. Any help anyone can provide would be great!!!!

Thanks everyone! :)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Running hot Help!

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

did you re-torque the heads after a few hundred miles? sounds like the new head gaskets are letting a little compression into the water jacket. what colour are the plugs now? do they look steam cleaned? or nice tan colour? 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 am

+1 on head gasket. Coolant overflow is usually compression getting through. Pull the radiator cap and check for air bubbles as the engine warms. Just to be safe check your oil for signs coolant.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for the response guys...I am going to bring it back over and have him retourque the head bolts as suggested..I am praying that fix's the problem and I don't have to replace the head gasket again :( I love the bike and hope to have many more miles of riding.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:32 pm

As stated, it sounds like your head gasket has failed. If this is the case, simply re-tightening the head bolts is unlikely to fix it. I suspect you will have to remove the heads and replace the failed gasket. I really doubt your thermostat is the cause, but it would be wise to replace it as you will have the engine apart. Try a compression test, it will tell you which bank (Left or right) has the failed head gasket and then look at replacing that head gasket and rechecking the torque of the head bolts on the side that has not yet failed.. You may find both sides have failed..

Gary

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Boo...I didn't want to hear that but the truth hurts lol Is there any particular reason to why they may have failed so soon..I just had them done last April and my mechanic said that he didn't use cheap gaskets, they are a brand he has been using a long time without much trouble. Could it possibly be the type of antifreeze that was put back in?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 pm

As stated earlier, the head bolts need retorquing after a few hundred miles as they do stretch. If you didn't retorque them, they may have stretched and reduced the tension enough that the head gasket failed. Also the heads may have been warped, did your mechanic check the heads before he refitted them to make sure they are not warped? I would be looking to replace the gaskets and whilst the heads are off, check they are straight.

Gary

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Your mechanic should have told you to retorque the head bolts and used lube on the bolt heads when he put it back together.Talk to him and see if he will make it right. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm

There are little things a good tech will do, like run a bottoming tap into bolt holes to clean out any dirt that could effect torque, all head bolts should be replaced, heads should be retorqued after first warm up then again within 50 hours engine running time.Now like was stated, do a compression test, more than likely a head gasket has blown again. When redone, check the head for warpage and cracks, retorque the other head . If the engine has been overheated a lot or antifreeze is in the oil go ahead and redo both heads. You might as well get it over with and do it right the first time.
Proud member Patriot Guard

mervk
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1986 1200 SEI and Trigg Trike kit.
1993 'Black Beauty' 1500 SE and chair.
1993 GL1500 Trike.
+ about 20 bikes from 1914 to current.

Postby mervk » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:00 pm

When I had a similar problem, and the head gasket was the cause, I had steam coming out of the exhaust. Does no one suspect the water pump?

Cheers
Merv Kroll
Downunder

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 am

I drove the bike over the shop last week and haven't heard anything yet..but I noticed the other day when starting the bike that there was steam coming from the exhaust so look like head gasket it is...

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 am

I am pretty discouraged over the whole thing as I am thousands into this bike..but gotta keep going I guess..

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”