85 aspencade, does not turn over

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
briang
Motorcycle: 1981 honda Goldwing

85 aspencade, does not turn over

Postby briang » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Help lol. I have an 85 aspencade, lights come on, dash comes on but when I hit the starter button, lights go dim and engine does not turn over. New starter solenoid, new battery and still nothing. Jumping the solenoid makes the engine turn over but not start. Any ideas guys?

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Re: 85 aspencade, does not turn over

Postby firstwing85 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I had some problems like that and I took the starter apart and cleaned it and now it works great.
while you have the starter apart take a look at the brushes, you might need a new stater kit. (not expensive)
Johan

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 pm

....or , if you are not up to that... once the starter is in your hand, almost any "starter" shop can clean it, re-brush it, check the bearings, ( Replace if necessary ) and bench test it...
I had mine done locally for about $30 about 8 years ago...

The hard part is getting the #$%@&$ thing out of the bike !!

SilverDave

briang
Motorcycle: 1981 honda Goldwing

Postby briang » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for your ideas - will see what happens!!

Dan1985
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Dan1985 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 am

Hi All
Here is some of my findings over the past few years on why we sometimes have a starting problem with the GL1200. I thought this would be interesting and here would be a good place for my post. Note: I am on my 3rd GL1200 1985LTD, the 3rd just purchased, not running. My findings.
The bike I just purchased, was all apart by owner trying to get it running. He said new battery and was not getting any spark to the plugs, he was looking for bad grounds, before he gave up. I got it home and started to work on it. I have most of the electronic replacement modules for the LTD, after several attempts, swaped in several modules and gave it a good long slow charge. It would start, but only about three times and that would be it. I checked the stator, which appears to be good, but the regulator is bad, its on order. After checking the part number of the battery, I found it was listed as fitting the GL1200, it was also a standard battery with cells to add water. Researching the battery, I found it to only have 220 CCA of cranking amps. The regulator was not the starting problem, just an Issue I found in my diagnosis, it would not charge when I got it to run.
MY RECOMMENDATIONS ON THE GL1200 & GL1500 is an AGM Battery with around 340 CCA (Big Crank is such one). Think about it, when the starter button is pressed, all the lights are on, the starter draws many amps, all the modules are drawing current, then the ignition coils need something to develope a good spark at the spark plugs. I went to the more powerful battery on my previous GL1200 LTD's as well as my present 1998 GL1500 SE. A battery of this higher power, is a much BETTER choice for these bikes. I enjoy picking the LTD's up and bringing them back to life for a second round with someone that likes a nice fuel injected bike. I love the GL1500, but miss the fuel injection on the LTD. The GL1500 I have to apply the choke and let it warm up a bit, before I take off. The LTD, I back out of the garade, hit the starter, it starts and I am on my way.
Hope this is of interest to most of you that read this post. OH, Yes another Big Crank 330 CCA / ETX-18L is on it way, e-bay.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”