front engine cover leaks

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dagodave
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade 1200 cb250 rs

front engine cover leaks

Postby dagodave » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 am

Hello I am in the slow process of restoring an 84 Aspencade. Problem 1: front engine cover leaks water ,can the cover be removed without taking the engine out ?. Problem 2: the starter solenoid was missing when i adopted the beast (She was destined to be a donor bike until in a moment of madness i rescued her before to many parts were removed.) I have found the 4 wires 2 heavy and 2 lighter gauge but they are not in a socket so what goes where. My attempt at the view of the solenoid is looking down at the top.The wires are red/white and green/red these are a lighter gauge, heavier gauge wires are red/white and red can any one help as i am a new boy as regards to the Aspencade.

b0 0m
_ _
_ _
fuse

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: front engine cover leaks

Postby Bamaeagle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am

Yes the cover can be removed without removing the engine. The cover is in three sections and cover the timing belts. There should not be any water coming from there though. I would look else where for a leak. Maybe from hoses above this cover or there are two small hoses running in front of the cover to the water pump. Maybe one of them is leaking or the water pump itself is leaking.

Not sure about your wiring problem. Maybe if you post a picture it would help out in identifying the wires.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 am

I'm not sure what Bamaeagle is talking about, but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.
There is a casting under the radiator which forms the mount for the water pump, the location for the oil filter, the water passages to the block, and the cover for the shifting mechanism. It is visible below the radiator, and held on with a bunch of small bolts, (8mm head I think)
If this is what you are talking about, yes it can be removed without removing the engine. Check carefully to be sure the gasket is leaking, or the gasket for the water pump cover, the O ring on the lower radiator hose connection, or if the coolant is coming out of the small hole on the bottom of the water pump. If it is coming from the water pump weep hole you will have to replace the water pump, but you will have to remove the cover to do that. Almost every body has or will someday change a water pump on these old girls.
If it is the water pump, try to use a Honda OEM replacement. There are aftermarket pumps out there but the quality control has not been good and it's a big job to do twice.
The timing belt covers for the 1200 are in two sections, not three as Bamaeagle stated. Perhaps he is thinking of a different bike?
This brings me to another point. If the timing belts have not been changed, change them. A broken timing belt will destroy your engine and they are not designed to last 28 years. You will find this advise everywhere "1200" is spoken.

The wires to the solenoid.
The heavy gauge wires, red, and red and white are power feeds to the rest of the bike. Originaly they were connected to a 30 amp fuse called a "dog bone" fuse by most. The accepted procedure is to remove this fuse before it fails (they all do eventually) and replace it with a quality inline automotive blade fuse, one end to the battery or the battery lead to the starter solenoid and the other to those two wires.
The lighter gauge wires, the green/red and red/yellow or red/white are the coil leads to the solenoid. The green with red goes to the clutch safety switch, and eventually to ground, and the red/yellow goes to the starter switch. With the original solenoid it doesn't matter which way these last two are hooked up. A bit of web searching will find you an aftermarket replacement number for the equivalent of this solenoid, but you might find a direct replacement as well.

Good luck on your restoration. These bikes are well worth the labor. The nice thing about them is that it is seldom necessary to go into the engine unless it has been abused or had over 250K on it.

dagodave

Postby dagodave » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 am

Many thanks for the rapid response, as you can see from the attached picture there are 4 spade end terminals and on the bike there are 4 loose connectors Red/yellow and green/red these are a lighter gauge wire than the other 2 which are Red/white and red the latter two are heavier gauge any ideas as to what goes where Best wishes Dagodave
Attachments
relay for starter
relay for starter

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am

Feetup......I stand corrected sir....... :o

I was having one of those senior moments. I read dagodave's post and was thinking about a 1500 not a 1200..... :roll:
Forgot I was in the 1200 section.

Oh well I will sit back and eat my popcorn and just watch. :D
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

feetup
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 am

Bamaeagle;

I thought that's what you were thinking about, but I know virtually nothing about the 1500 so could only guess.
It's all good.

feetup
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

Dagodave;

That solenoid looks a little different but on the OEM solenoid the two terminals closest to the battery and starter studs are the coil terminals, the smaller wires, red/yellow, green/red and it won't matter to which terminal you connect them if it is not a grounded solenoid. The two closest to the blade fuse will be the heavier wires, red, and red/white, and again it won't matter in which order you connect them.
As I said, that solenoid is not exactly the same as the one I am looking at, so to test that what I say is correct, and if you have a voltmeter, or a test light, connect 12 volts positive to the "B" terminal and check to see which two blades are now showing 12 volts. (obviously you need to ground the other end of your test light/meter to the neg of the 12 volt power source) These will be the heavier wires, red, and red/white. In other words, these two terminals will be connected to the "B" terminal through the fuse. Pull the fuse and you should get no power to any of the four. Power across the other two terminals should cause the solenoid to click, connecting terminals "M" and "B" internally.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but if I mumbled, ask me to describe it another way.

dagodave

Postby dagodave » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm

many thanks i can now test the the electrics and see what goes ,once again thank you both for your efforts dagodave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”