Front Brake lights don't work

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Stack
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Front Brake lights don't work

Postby Stack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am

Hi, I am a new Goldwing owner. I purchased an 84 Aspencade with a voyager trike kit two days ago. I am trying to get it to pass MO safety inspection but the brake lights don't work when using the front brakes. They do work with the back brakes so I know it's not the bulbs, fuse, etc. I tried taking the switch off and connecting the two wires with a paper clip, no luck! So if it still doesn't work what else should I look for? I am dying to get my bike licensed and hit the road!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front Brake lights don't work

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am

Stack wrote:Hi, I am a new Goldwing owner. I purchased an 84 Aspencade with a voyager trike kit two days ago. I am trying to get it to pass MO safety inspection but the brake lights don't work when using the front brakes. They do work with the back brakes so I know it's not the bulbs, fuse, etc. I tried taking the switch off and connecting the two wires with a paper clip, no luck! So if it still doesn't work what else should I look for? I am dying to get my bike licensed and hit the road!!

Well you've already eliminated the switch as the cause of the problem, so the next thing to do is to find out which of the wires has the problem.

There are two wires going to the front brake switch: White/Green, and Green/Yellow. When the ignition is turned on, you should see +12V on the White/Green wire - check to make sure that is the case.

The Green/Yellow wire is connected in parallel with the rear brake switch. If you have +12V on the White/Green wire, then you have a break or bad connection on the Green/Yellow wire somewhere between the front brake switch and the rear brake switch.

Stack
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Stack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Ok, I guess it's time to start checking wires. I was hoping that this could be avoided as wiring and I don't get along to well. Thanks!

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Had the same problem on my 84 Standard. The problem was in the switch. Just need to remove it, split the case and clean the contacts.
Attachments

84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”