voltage problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Keithbjohnson
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing standard

voltage problem

Postby Keithbjohnson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 am

I have a pristine 85 limited edition with low miles. A year ago I was riding and the voltage starting dropping. I made it home and have been trying to solve the problem ever since. I replaced the voltage regulator and a couple of the relays. The volage is fine, 13.9 volts if the 15 amp fuse for the running lights is removed. As soon as you put that fuse in the voltage drops below 12 volts. My neighbor asked if it was blowing any fuses. It's wasn't. He was sure it was the stator going bad and it just couldn't keep up enough juice to power the running lights . I pulled the motor and replaced the stator. The stator didn't look bad but was soaked with oil so I was pretty sure the gasket was bad and the oil was the problem . I put in new stator and gasket, then I reinstalled the motor feeling confident the problem was resolved. You can imagine how bummed I was when I started it and still had the problem. Has anyone had this voltage problem and found the solution? The bike has more wires than the space shuttle.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: voltage problem

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am

Have you tested the stator to make sure it is operating correctly? Well, being that you've replaced it already, chances of it not operating correctly are slim.

Make sure the connector linking the stator to the regulator is cut out and soldered (the three yellow wires) - this is a common failure point.

Lastly, have you checked your master (dogbone) fuse? It can crack and cause intermittent failures where the bike will stop charging. You sometimes can't see the cracks until you remove it, at which point it will often crumble in your fingers. It can be replaced with a high-amperage blade fuse holder and a standard automotive fuse.

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Postby skier » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Maybe remove the running light fuse and measure the resistance of the running light hot wire to ground. I assume the running light were fine at some point and didn't drag the voltage down? Are the other normal loads on the battery turned on (headlight, etc) when you remove this fuse?. Try removing the headlight fuse while the headlights are on and see if the voltage raises. This would eliminate the running light circuit as an issue.

I not the expert on stators, but don't they run in an oil bath?

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 pm

just read your thread and I'll tell you I found.
I had a short that in the wiring for my trailer lights.

I would pull the wiring for your running lights and check the wiring it from end to end.
you might have a spot where it's rubbed through and might be touching the frame somewhere.
that's what I had with the wiring harness for my trailer lights, didn't blow any fuses but it did draw enough power for me to loose enough power that the bike wouldn't start and eventually burned out my stator.
Johan

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Postby Phunnybone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 am

When mine started sucking juice, it turned out that an old-style relay with a metal housing was at fault. I was checking the wiring for shorts and my hand brushed up against the metal housing of the relay - it was hot and the bike hadn't been started for over a day. Turns out, a piece broke off inside and was shorting the power to the metal housing. Replacing both old relays with new ones fixed that problem. Next wiring problem I had to fix was a cut ground wire to my trunk turn signals which kept blowing fuses (The outside of the wire was fine. It had been squished between the trunk and the frame and had severed the wire inside the plastic coating).

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”