Which wires to disconnect?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Which wires to disconnect?

Postby Phunnybone » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 am

Got my dupli-tech conversion alternator kit today. Seems to be a fairly straightforward install. However, not being an electrical genius, I've got a couple of questions.

Since it appears that the Denso alternator is self regulated (only one main connection for wire to battery), one blade connector to connect to wire only powered up when ignition is on, one blade connector to a 'charging lamp' (which I'm thinking would connect up to my charging indicator next to the radio), and one dummy connector.

The part I'm wondering about is, which wires to disconnect. The 3 yellow stator wires near the battery? Wires from the R/R - or leave those alone?

I'll take your answers and make it part of the post (with pics and maybe even video) of the conversion).

Thanks for your help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Which wires to disconnect?

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am

I would disconnect:

- Three yellow wires (insulate them well, as they will still be making power, and you don't want them shorting out!). This will reduce the parasite load on your engine

- The connector to the regulator. This will keep it from attempting to regulate power that it isn't responsible for.

I would leave the regulator and yellow wires in place - if your new alternator should ever fail you out on the road somewhere, your built-in backup is but a couple of connectors away!

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:31 am

WingAdmin wrote:I would disconnect:

- Three yellow wires (insulate them well, as they will still be making power, and you don't want them shorting out!). This will reduce the parasite load on your engine

- The connector to the regulator. This will keep it from attempting to regulate power that it isn't responsible for.

I would leave the regulator and yellow wires in place - if your new alternator should ever fail you out on the road somewhere, your built-in backup is but a couple of connectors away!

Just to make sure I've got it right:

The three yellow wires that were previously soldered together (just forward of the battery) - snip and insulate.

R/R itself - leave in place

Since I soldered the wires from connector to connector going to the R/R, I should separate them again and maybe put blade connectors on their ends in case I need them in the middle of nowhere.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Phunnybone wrote:Just to make sure I've got it right:

The three yellow wires that were previously soldered together (just forward of the battery) - snip and insulate.

R/R itself - leave in place

Since I soldered the wires from connector to connector going to the R/R, I should separate them again and maybe put blade connectors on their ends in case I need them in the middle of nowhere.

That's exactly what I would suggest. Snip them and put a healthy-sized connector in there, then tape over the ends and perhaps zip-tie the tape in place to insulate it well.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Ive converted several but not that familiar with the duplitech since ive never used it but if this is possible with it here is a suggestion.
I would take the alternator to an alternator shop and for a just a few bucks they can install a self exciting regulator in it. This does away with the need for any other connections other than the one cable to the pos post of the battery itself and your on board voltmeter will still read out as it does now. Less connections = less to go wrong in the future. JMO. :lol:
Self exciting simply means that when the alternator is spun it arms itself and starts charging. When it stops spinning it disconnects itself. Having done both the self exciting option is a lot better and simpler to install/uninstall. Its durable also. Been used on Farmall tractor converions for decades :D

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 pm

It's a Denso alternator. I think it has a self exciting regulator. It has one main post for the battery positive terminal. Then there are three additional connectors - the one that's perpendicular to the other two is a dummy connector. On the parallel connectors, the left is supposed to be connected to an ignition wire that only has power when ignition is on (maybe to tell the onboard regulator to do its job?), and the other one is to a lamp (included) that lets you know it's charging.
Attachments
Dupli-tech alternator
Dupli-tech alternator

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm

If and I cant tell by looking at the pic sorry, it has a self exciting regulator then there will be no other wires at all to hook up except the cable going directly to the battery. The self exciting regulator needs no wire to the ignition to energize it it simply arms and disarms it self when it is spinning.
On your Ltd the on board voltmeter seneses voltage in the system and will read after the conversion just as it does now with no modifying the wiring or adding a charge indicator lamp.
Its your choice to either go with the regulator that needs the wire to the ignition to turn it on, or have it converted to self exciting and only have the true one wire hookup to the battery. After a few conversions I always go self exciting but that is just me. :)
The charging indicator lamp would be for a bike with no on board meter like a interstate. You already have a voltmeter that will read just as it does now after the conversion unless you just want a second light

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 am

Did some searching on self exciting Denso alternators. They all have the external connectors - just depends on how they're connected under the regulator housing. Probably will just take the regulator cover off to see if I can find a model number on the regulator.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”