Clunk Coming From My Rear

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
hdriderbb
Motorcycle: 1996 FXSTSB Harley Badboy, 1980 GL100 Honda Goldwing

Clunk Coming From My Rear

Postby hdriderbb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Sorry about the subject title, but I thought it was funny :lol:

Anyway, My buddy has a 1986 Goldwing Aspencade with about 42,000 miles on it. During the test ride, I noticed a one "clunk" when taking off from a stop. It is coming from the rear. I am going to have my buddy help me locate it, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas.

When you apply load to the engine (front brake on and apply throttle in gear, just like a brake torque), you can hear it clunk once and then clunk again when load is released. When the load is taken off you can hear the clunk again, but it is not as loud. It will do it evertime. It kind of sounds like it is coming more from the left side, but I have not verified that yet. You can feel it slightly, but it is very little. When a load is applied I do not see anything moving (swing arm, wheel, etc). The owner of the bike thought it was something in his hard bags rolling around (it is not that).

I thought it might be swing arm bearing, wheel bearings, or something to do with the drive shaft (I hope not). I put it on the center stand and tried to move the tire and swing arm side to side, I put it in gear and tried to get any free-play movement back and forward, and I check the brake. Nothing seemed to stand out. I hate to tear into looking for something that is just not worn out enough to notice.

I am planning on having my buddy use a stethascope with probes to help pin point the area of the clunking when I apply a load.

Any thoughts or ways to check something without ripping the rear wheel off?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clunk Coming From My Rear

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Well the one thing that I would be really worried about it being would be worn splines in the rear drive, due to lack of regular lubrication. That would be a deal-breaker for me, because rear drives are expensive. I can't think of an easy way of diagnosing that (for sure) without pulling the rear wheel off, however.

You could try putting it in first gear (with the engine off), on the center stand, and try moving the rear wheel forward and backward to try to replicate the clunk. You should be able to feel the difference between the wheel just rotating on its own, and where it takes up the slack in the driveline and attempts to rotate the engine. Listening to the rear drive with a mechanic's stethoscope while you do this would be a good idea.

When you hold it in place with the front brake on and get the clunking noise, can you see anything moving in the back end? If you see some vertical motion at the same time, it could be shock/suspension.

inkman
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby inkman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 pm

it might be the flange pins i think they have rubber bushings they go into inside the rear wheel

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

The flange pins do have rubber bushings in the wheel, and those can wear:

However, if the splined drive is not lubricated correctly, it will wear terribly, and eventually fail - and that will cause lots of clunking noises. Here are pictures of worn splines that were not lubricated correctly:

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:31 am

Dont forget to grease the spider pins when you put the new one on.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7419

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Yup, absolutely:

Jeff Henslee
Motorcycle: 1986 honda gl1200a

Postby Jeff Henslee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 pm

I had a similar noise in mine. I noticed that when moving slowly, I would hear a noise coming from the rear drive area. Not a clunk, couldn't feel anything. More of a loud click. PO had already replaced the drive so I took the rear whell off, cleaned everything up. The splines looked fine but the rubber bushings were filthy. I used a wire brush for cleaning a shot gun, in a drill, to clean them out then lubed everything with moly60 and put it back together. So far, no noise.

wickedinaz
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100
1984 gl1200

Postby wickedinaz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm

My 83 GL1100i has that clunk. Noticed it a lot when I first got the bike. Lately not so much. If I'm riding 2 up, at take off in 1st gear it will happen. I've pretty much rebuilt everything but the drive train. Don't know that much about the swing arm, thought maybe I might need new bearings in there as my rear tire is starting to rub the brake support on the left side, and the swing arm on the right.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”