cornering lights

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

cornering lights

Postby plumbermullins » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:40 pm

86 sei cornering lights do not shut off when the directional shuts off should they??
how does the auto cancel work? the lights will shut off if I recenter the switch new bike to me owners manual does not go into depth of how they work and sei repair manual only tests for light not coming on. thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: cornering lights

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 am

First question...Your turn signal switch...Do you have the "push to cancel" or manually have to slide the switch back to center.
Second...the auto cancel is a magic box that is controlled by a speed sensor,internal timer and a angle sensor.The angle sensor is mounted under the front steering assembly.
If it's a manual return switch,there is a plunger solenoid that is energized by the canceler box and releases the switch,springs return it to the center.
The push to cancel type is entirely electronic.

plumbermullins
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 am

The turn signal switch is self centering and I can push to cancel but the cornering lights do not turn off when the self cancel or when you push the button to cancel . They only shut off when you activate the switch and return to center manually while the cornering light is on, only then does the cornering light go out. the directional lights do cancel properly all the time it's just the cornering lights that do not cancel. as a side note there are 2 leds mounted below the radio that indicate which cornering light is on the wire feeding them comes off each cornering light feed wire.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 am

85 LTD which is basically the same bike as the sei. Not sure what your problem is but mine come on on the same side as the signal im using and go off when then signal light self cancels. If I push to cancel the cornering light goes out also.

Dan1985
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1998 GL1500 SE

Re:85LTD & 86SEi cornering lights

Postby Dan1985 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:57 am

Your corning light on the 85LTD & 86SEi are suppose to turn off with the auto cancel or the manual cancel on the left switch assembly. If the cornering lights (in the direction of your signal) stay on after the turn signals are canceled, you can turn them off by just slightly moving the turn signal switch toward the center, this will turn the corning light off in that direction, and the position light back on.. Also notice that when the cornering light stays on, the position light (second filament of the turn signal front light will remain off, no amber light at all on that side of bike.
YOUR PROBLEM: The problem is a bad Position Light Relay, which is found on the LTD & SEi turn signal & Position light schematic,as well as the cornering light schematic. It has a white connector called C64, the relay is called Position Light Relay. Part number ?? Unfortunately this relay is buried in the center of the bike, left of center on a 2 relay bracket just below the ignition coils. To access the relay, you will have to remove the bike fairing, which is not all that difficult. Remove, the seat, console shell with Navigator computer will need to come off to make everything easier. To remove fairing, remove the mirrors, the stainless braw (just below the windshield), the headlight, remove two screws from the multi connector brackets that attach to the fairing on each side of the inter area of the fairing. This frees the brackets, leave the connectors connected. Then disconnect three multi connectors on the left inner side of the fairing. You will find one multi connector to disconnect on the right side also, just forward of the air suspension control module, not the readout. Also disconnect the two air lines (right side) that connect to the air suspension compressor that drop down out of the bottom of the fairing. Disconnect any after market wires that may have been routed in over the years the would complicate the lift off of the fairing. Now you are ready to remove 2 lower bolts behind the headlight, and one bolt and 2 nuts under the fairing on each side. Grab a buddy or a husky wife and lift the fairing free of the bike, it is not all that heavy, but bulky and hard to handle alone.
Now you will have to fish for the relay from the left side of the bike, crab the flashlight, it is there, just under the ignition coils, you will see it is mounted on a small 2 relay bracket with another similar relay on the right side of the bracket, what that is, not sure at this point. Note: There are 3 or 4 small connectors on a bracket just in front of the relay your after, remove the bracket holding these connectors and move it out of the way, it may help to disconnect the connectors as well. The relay has a rubber boot that holds it in place on the relay, with some long needle nose pliers, fish it off and disconnect and install a good one. Which is hard to find on ebay, mostly available with a group of others from a Aspencade. LTD or SEi bike. Coil ohms should be low, like only a few ohms or less, high ohms, it will be bad. Test a new or replacement before reassembling the bike.
How do I know, I fought the problem for days, I just fixed my 85LTD. So crab a six pack, call in a buddy, get the pack cooling so when your finished, you can celebrate a job well done. It really was not all that difficult. Do remember to reverse the process, and get all your connections back in place.
If I come up with the part number of this relay, I will post it later GOOD LUCK

plumbermullins
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for the location info testing did concur that that relay was dead but did not know its where abouts. PO put small red lights from corning lights to let you know there on. Sounds like a winter job with other things on the list. this is my 3rd gold wing which I still own all 3, this one rides like a lincoln my 82 is a little sportier and the 77 is just a great bike for it's time. Love the all and cheaper to keep than my wife. :)
Thank again for the info this site is great.

Dan1985
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1998 GL1500 SE

Re: Re:85LTD & 86SEi cornering lights

Postby Dan1985 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:46 pm

[quote="Dan1985"]Your corning light on the 85LTD & 86SEi are suppose to turn off with the auto cancel or the manual cancel on the left switch assembly. If the cornering lights (in the direction of your signal) stay on after the turn signals are canceled, you can turn them off by just slightly moving the turn signal switch toward the center, this will turn the corning light off in that direction, and the position light back on.. Also notice that when the cornering light stays on, the position light (second filament of the turn signal front light will remain off, no amber light at all on that side of bike.
YOUR PROBLEM: The problem is a bad Position Light Relay, which is found on the LTD & SEi turn signal & Position light schematic,as well as the cornering light schematic. It has a white connector called C64, the relay is called Position Light Relay. Part number ?? Unfortunately this relay is buried in the center of the bike, left of center on a 2 relay bracket just below the ignition coils. To access the relay, you will have to remove the bike fairing, which is not all that difficult. Remove, the seat, console shell with Navigator computer will need to come off to make everything easier. To remove fairing, remove the mirrors, the stainless braw (just below the windshield), the headlight, remove two screws from the multi connector brackets that attach to the fairing on each side of the inter area of the fairing. This frees the brackets, leave the connectors connected. Then disconnect three multi connectors on the left inner side of the fairing. You will find one multi connector to disconnect on the right side also, just forward of the air suspension control module, not the readout. Also disconnect the two air lines (right side) that connect to the air suspension compressor that drop down out of the bottom of the fairing. Disconnect any after market wires that may have been routed in over the years the would complicate the lift off of the fairing. Now you are ready to remove 2 lower bolts behind the headlight, and one bolt and 2 nuts under the fairing on each side. Grab a buddy or a husky wife and lift the fairing free of the bike, it is not all that heavy, but bulky and hard to handle alone.
Now you will have to fish for the relay from the left side of the bike, crab the flashlight, it is there, just under the ignition coils, you will see it is mounted on a small 2 relay bracket with another similar relay on the right side of the bracket, what that is, not sure at this point. Note: There are 3 or 4 small connectors on a bracket just in front of the relay your after, remove the bracket holding these connectors and move it out of the way, it may help to disconnect the connectors as well. The relay has a rubber boot that holds it in place on the relay, with some long needle nose pliers, fish it off and disconnect and install a good one. Which is hard to find on ebay, mostly available with a group of others from a Aspencade. LTD or SEi bike. Coil ohms should be low, like only a few ohms or less, high ohms, it will be bad. Test a new or replacement before reassembling the bike.
How do I know, I fought the problem for days, I just fixed my 85LTD. So crab a six pack, call in a buddy, get the pack cooling so when your finished, you can celebrate a job well done. It really was not all that difficult. Do remember to reverse the process, and get all your connections back in place.
If I come up with the part number of this relay, I researched the part this morning, see below. I had one in my spare parts, one of many.
The Position Light Relay as described above, can be found on the Honda Fich @ www.hondaparts-direct.com, look for parts layout in 1985, GL1200L (Ignition Coil & Rectifier), Item 33, Part number (38601-MB3-671) it appears to be still available ($34.92). better get one before it is to late as these older OEM pars are dropping off the shelf to never return, only on Ebay SOMETIMES. Get one ready for that winter project.
Good Luck

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”