multi part question regarding the wiring in the front end.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mainline-coffee
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 something strange

multi part question regarding the wiring in the front end.

Postby mainline-coffee » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:26 am

hey everybody,i am a noob with a 84 gl1200. got it running like a champ with 50 thousand miles and a smashed front end,need to replace the forks and the plastic is shot. i was wondering if anyone here has ever re wired a front end. i plan on running a gauge cluster and a headlight with no big plastic thing up front. i have rewired bikes before but i have allways dove in head first with little knolage and regreted it. i have pulled the wiring harness from the front end plastic shell cone nose thingy and i have no idea what to do from here. it is a huge bundle of spliced and re spliced wires with no begenning and no end. does any one here know what goes where or what these things go to? i will try to upload pics. the last owner had the radio and all that fun stuff too. i have serched high and low but i guess this is a very genrel question. if you have any knolage to spare it will be a great help. thanks goldwing dudes.

come as you are,do what you do and leave in peace.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: multi part question regarding the wiring in the front en

Postby tom84std » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 am

I'm assuming you still have the molex-type connectors attached to the existing harness. You're gonna HAVE to have a good manual. My experience is that the factory one is good, but the electrical schematic is a bit "crowded" and difficult to follow. I prefer the Haynes or Clymer in this area. Use good quality wire and good quality electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. Solder ALL connections and don't use crimp connectors or Scotchlocks. 16ga stranded wire is sufficient size for turn signals, horn and kill switch so long as the connections are solid with zero resistance. Use a 14ga for the three headlamp wires. Provide a good solid grounding wire between the headstock and the front end so you're not grounding through the bearings. Cut the wires long and trim them to length as you make each connection. I highly suggest Scotch33 electrical tape, industry standard. About $4.00 a roll and you'll need three rolls unless you can locate the proper size heat shrink tubing and have the heat gun to use it. Don't twist the wires together and go. Twist, trim and solder. Then insulate with lots of movement, moisture and vibration in mind.

mainline-coffee

Postby mainline-coffee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 am

awesome,thanks for the heads up,scotchlocks make me sick. i spent my morning from two and five am popping those suckers off. is there any way to recycle the turn signals? i was thinking fab a metal tab bracket but this is way outside my area of knolage. completely off topic but this site is amasing

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Yes of course you can reuse the turn signals. If you need brackets you can enlist the help of a friend or fabricate them yourself. To wire them, the left front signal has three wires:Orange, Orange/White and solid green. The solid orange wire is the blinker or turn signal wire. It goes all the way to the handlebar switch solid orange. The orange/white wire is the marker light wire. It also goes all the way to the handlebars as an orange/white wire. The green wire is frame ground. The right front signal light also has three wires:light blue, light blue/white and green. Again, the green wire is frame ground. The solid light blue wire is right turn signal, also goes to the handlebar switch. The light blue/white wire is the right marker light also going to the handlebar switch. The marker light wires are always energized +12V whenever the headlamp is on. The solid colored orange and blue wires are blinker wires only energized when the turn signal switch is in a turn position:on-off-on-off. If these wires have become damaged, cut the damaged part off, solder and insulate more wire to them.

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52 am

just a kudos to you for wanting to build a stripper- i like/love my 86 refrigerator a lot, and can ride at 65 mph at 41F without frostbite, but a stripper gets it real with its all about the super smooth power and ride without the silly little dolittle vents etc - wish my barn was bigger and wallet was able, id have one

mainline-coffee

Postby mainline-coffee » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 pm

i am for the most part building it for crusing it is set up with jockey shift hand clutch,swapped floor boards with pegs and threw down a od green paint job. this is the first strip&build sence a suv broke both my arms blowing through a stop sign coming off a side street,i was on a chopped cb650. i want to take my significant other to florida and back on it next summer.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”