Final Drive oil blowing out

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
filupsd
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Standard

Final Drive oil blowing out

Postby filupsd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

I recently purchased a 1984 GL 1200 Standard. After the first few rides I noticed oil on my rear tire. A closer look showed that it came from the Final drive blow out cap. I checked the level and it is fine. I presume the oil is old and it is over heating. I don't remember if it did it on a cooler day or not.

I have just changed the oil and plan to change it again after putting a few miles on. I don't know when it was last changed.

Is changing the oil a few times the best way to clean it out with out having to take it apart?

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Re: Final Drive oil blowing out

Postby feetup » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 am

That's the first time I've heard of the final drive blowing oil from the vent, but I certainly haven't heard it all before. Do you know if it has been over filled? Does the vent look original and undamaged?

To answer your other question, yes, frequent repeated drain and refill cycles are an excellent way to flush any oil system, final drive, engine, forks, and on other machines transmission as well. Try to drain it hot, and allow a fair bit of time to drain it all out as when you have just run it a lot of oil will be clinging to the gears and the inside of the housing, and EP gear oil is slow to move.
I might get some flak for this but IMHO it would hurt nothing if you ran a little clean solvent (Varsol) into the filler after you've drained it and allow it to drain out the drain hole to move any sediment out from the bottom of the casing. Just be sure it's all out before you refill.

There was a man who got banned from most of the Gold Wing sites who insisted that it was important to grossly overfill the final drive, so there may still be some bad advice out there. These units seem to run almost forever if the proper amount of the correct oil, changed regularly according to schedule is used. Honda recommends Hypoid gear oil, SAE 80 (API GL-5) to be changed every 24,000 miles. You will do no harm changing the oil at much less than that, since you will only require 4.4 US ounces of oil and a quart will cost you less than $20.00. I change mine at the end of every season, even if I've done less than 10,000 miles. If you have trouble finding 80 weight, 80W-90 is more common and will be fine. There is nothing in there but bearings and two gears so special additives are not required. Conversely, if they are compatible with the oil you use they will do no harm.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:18 am

Something just occurred to me and I don't know how to edit my post above.
The fill cap on the final drive is known for being fragile. There are postings by a number of people who have broken them when trying to remove them after they have been over tightened. They are hollow and thin and are required to be just snugged up enough to seat the "O" ring.
Incidentally it is the same part as the valve adjust cover on the little CB-400 and other small Honda M/C and ATV motors. Pt. # 12361-300-000

filupsd

Postby filupsd » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank for the information. The first thing I checked was for proper fill level. I thought maybe they put it on the side stand and then filled or something like that. The bike has 42,000 miles and I an just going to presume it has never been changed.

I never have gotten my Idle to run properly so I'm having the carbs cleaned and rebuilt next month. So i'm slowly getting the kinks worked out of a bike that hasn't been ridden in a while.

Appreciate the input here on the board.

David

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 pm

feetup wrote:I might get some flak for this but IMHO it would hurt nothing if you ran a little clean solvent (Varsol) into the filler after you've drained it and allow it to drain out the drain hole to move any sediment out from the bottom of the casing. Just be sure it's all out before you refill.

No flak from me - I do exactly this every time I replace the oil. With the drain bolt open, I use a can of brake cleaner (because I have lots of it, and it's relatively cheap), stick the straw in the filler port, and hose it down while rotating the rear wheel.

After a few minutes to allow it to evaporate, I then squirt fresh gear oil in the filler while again rotating the wheel, allowing that oil to also drain out. Once it's well coated with fresh oil inside, and the oil running out is clean and pristine, I'll install the drain bolt and fill it up with gear oil.

This is exactly the procedure I detail in How to replace the gear oil in your final drive.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:20 pm

This could not be the case on yours but when I got my LTD home looking at after i bought it I swore that I had a leaking final drive vent seal etc. Oil on the tire and final drive not tons but enough to make it nasty. Kept checking the level as I rode and it never dropped. :shock: :?
After a bit of searching I found it wasnt my final drive leaking at all but my rear shock. The oil was leaking down getting blown back and looking like a leaking final.
Could not be the case but if you ride and your final drive level doesnt go down Id start looking at the shock.

filupsd

Postby filupsd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am

Thank you guys I will go through that procedure this weekend and I will also check the rear shock for leaks. Now, how do you lube the Choke cable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am

filupsd wrote:Thank you guys I will go through that procedure this weekend and I will also check the rear shock for leaks. Now, how do you lube the Choke cable.

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13272

filupsd

Postby filupsd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Thank you.

I had Knee surgery last week and can't rid for another week so a friend is riding it right now. He had an 85 Aspencade and said he had a sticky clutch and he's the one that suggested the cable might be sticky.

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Postby triwing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Ghostrider52005 wrote:This could not be the case on yours but when I got my LTD home looking at after i bought it I swore that I had a leaking final drive vent seal etc. Oil on the tire and final drive not tons but enough to make it nasty. Kept checking the level as I rode and it never dropped. :shock: :?
After a bit of searching I found it wasnt my final drive leaking at all but my rear shock. The oil was leaking down getting blown back and looking like a leaking final.
Could not be the case but if you ride and your final drive level doesnt go down Id start looking at the shock.

Thats a good guess very possible the problem Triwing

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”