Dupli-tech alternator conversion

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Dupli-tech alternator conversion

Postby Phunnybone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Haven't been riding for the last three weeks or so due to several maintenance projects (Starter rebuild, water pump replacement, fuel filter replacement, and alternator conversion).

I had to take more off than I liked to get the starter off, but was glad I did it because that thing was nasty inside.

starter
starter

The water pump, while it wasn't leaking from the weep hole and didn't feel loose, had corroded impeller blades - so I went ahead and replaced it.

Corrosion on water pump.
Corrosion on water pump.

I lost one of the o-rings that came with my ring/gasket kit, so I ended up waiting a week for it to come into the local dealer. Seems like all the o-ring kits you can pick up at places like harbor freight have rings that are too darned thick.

The Dupli-tech alternator conversion is in progress. (I'll do a write-up when I'm done) There are a few steps that need to be added to the instructions that come with it (an extra part that needs to be thrown away, torque specs, and a slight mod on the aluminum timing belt cover/alternator conversion plate that is provided). Here's a pic with it installed, but not hooked up, on my '85 1200 LTD.

Before wiring and lower fairing assembly
Before wiring and lower fairing assembly

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Re: Dupli-tech alternator conversion

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Looks interesting. Ive done two preparing to do a third poorboy type conversion though i fab my own mounts etc instead of the kit. The duplitech kit looked interesting but the price tag put me off when I can do a poorboy type for about 75 bucks total by doing my own mounts etc. Looks good though. :)

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Fabricating things isn't really one of my strong points. I'd love to do it a lot cheaper, but this seemed like a good solution for me.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:27 pm

What puts me off of that alternator conversion is that the electrical load is applied to the left timing belt, instead of being driven directly from the engine crank. The timing belt was never designed to handle the load of an alternator. Not to say that it can't - but I would definitely be a little more vigilant about changing timing belts.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 am

WingAdmin wrote:What puts me off of that alternator conversion is that the electrical load is applied to the left timing belt, instead of being driven directly from the engine crank. The timing belt was never designed to handle the load of an alternator. Not to say that it can't - but I would definitely be a little more vigilant about changing timing belts.

There's a pulley attached to the crankshaft pulley (not the left timing belt pulley). The milled aluminum cover that comes with the dupli-tech conversion holds the alternator and has a plate that separates the alternator conversion from the left timing belt pulley completely. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the inside of the milled aluminum piece, but I'm not taking it off now to take a picture :mrgreen:

Pulley for alternator belt
Pulley for alternator belt

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

Phunnybone wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:What puts me off of that alternator conversion is that the electrical load is applied to the left timing belt, instead of being driven directly from the engine crank. The timing belt was never designed to handle the load of an alternator. Not to say that it can't - but I would definitely be a little more vigilant about changing timing belts.

There's a pulley attached to the crankshaft pulley (not the left timing belt pulley). The milled aluminum cover that comes with the dupli-tech conversion holds the alternator and has a plate that separates the alternator conversion from the left timing belt pulley completely. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the inside of the milled aluminum piece, but I'm not taking it off now to take a picture :mrgreen:

Pulley 54 ft lbs tight.JPG

Ah, I see, that makes much more sense then. There is a drive belt, enclosed, off the crank, instead of what it looks like, being driven off the cam pulley. It looks very nice, and clean.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm

They even write on the inside plate (between the machined aluminum and the timing belt area) 'Do not remove'. The belt slips over the pulley then behind the plate to an opening on the far left. You're supposed to tighten the two cover bolts, then slip the belt over the alternator and tighten the belt the normal way (big honkin screwdriver!) and secure the alternator with the supplied bolts.

I did have to do minor alterations - cut a 1/4" x 1/4" nothch out of one end to make room for a hose/cable. Then I had to grind a little bit off of one nut so that it would slide in the existing groove of the machined aluminum piece.

You would probably cry if you saw my soldering job on the wire into the fuse box (but at least I didn't cram the wire in between the prongs and the fuse). The wire goes to the IG on the alternator - serves as an actuator for the interior regulator (not self-actuating). I've got a 50 amp (self resetting) circuit breaker for the wire to the battery.

Needless to say, every time the weather is nice I have to work. When I have time to work on it, the weather ends up being cold and rainy.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:31 am

Guess I got busy with life - been almost a year and a half since I posted. Got busy with life I guess. Moved in December of 2012, and I hadn't finished putting everything together yet. Didn't get her back on the road in 2013 - partly because I was working too hard and partly because she was surrounded by 'stuff' in the garage. Still haven't gotten her back on the road this season, but I'm taking more time off. Last night I picked up another 1985 GL1200 - for only $800! Since the wife didn't kill me, I really have to take the time to get them both going.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”