Smoke or steam for first few minutes...

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing aspencade

Smoke or steam for first few minutes...

Postby DC46 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Hey guys, I have an 84 Aspencade that when I got in March was overheating so I tore it down and found bad waterpump...I replaced waterpump and head gaskets and cruised for about 6000 miles this summer...RECENTLY every time I start it it bellows out smoke or maybe its more steam, cant really tell...After a few it stops when warm but I can ride then when shut it off it does same thing for a few even if it hasnt cooled off on temperature gauge...Any thoughts are appreciated...Btw, temperature may be a notch higher but still well within range...

Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Re: Smoke or steam for first few minutes...

Postby kwild » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Try this first. When you turn the bike off... let it stay in the upright position for about 20 seconds before you ease it onto the sidestand. I usually take my gloves off and unbuckle the helmet before leaning it over. Sounds simple, but it lets the oil drain back. It should help.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Smoke or steam for first few minutes...

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Pull the plugs and have a look at their condition. If you've got coolant leaking into the cylinders, the affected plugs will be steam-cleaned. If it's oil, they'll be black and oily.

Have a look at the smoke - coolant smoke is more whitish, smells sweet and tends to dissipate quickly, while oil smoke is bluish, smells oily and hangs around a bit longer.

Have a look at your coolant reservoir while this is going on, check both for a coolant level going down. When the engine is COLD, open the radiator cap and start the bike - watch for air bubbles coming up in the coolant in the radiator neck.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”