Checking the oil on Aspencade 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Quarteg
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200a Aspencade

Checking the oil on Aspencade 1200

Postby Quarteg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Two months ago I purchased an 1986 Aspencade 1200. I noticed that the last couple of days it was running a little rich (I assume this by the smell of the exhaust). I checked the oil and found that it was low, so I added to it. Following the directions from the manual I checked the oil by unscrewing the dipstick, wiping clean, reinserting the dipstick (not screwing back in), and the pulling back out to check again.

My two questions are;

1. As it is running rich, how can I fix this (what is the cause)?

2. Why when I insert the dipstick it will show little to know oil on it and when I reinsert (after cleaning) it shows, what can only be assumed is, the correct amount of oil?

Don't know if it makes a difference but it has been in the 40's here in Wisconsin and I am still riding.

Thanks for the help,
John

"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

rdraidr
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A

Re: Checking the oil on Aspencade 1200

Postby rdraidr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:19 am

Re: checking the oil
From pg. 33 of the owners manual:

1. Put the bike on the center stand on level ground.
2. Start the engine and let it idle for 2-3 minutes. Stop the engine.
3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean, and insert the dipstick without screwing it in. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level.
The oil level should be between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

Re: running rich

You'll find several posts on the subject. Mine does the same thing at times. In fact, I get a small backfire at idle when cold and when I throttle down to shift (again, when cold). No symptoms when warm. I've decided it has something to do with the air shut-off valve; reed valves at the bottom of the main carb box. I will order a carb kit and go through mine this winter when it's cold and I can't ride anyway.

Not sure how long the bike you purchased sat or the overall condition, but the likely answer is a good carb cleaning. You can start with SeaFoam or similar in the fuel.

Good luck.

Quarteg
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200a Aspencade

Re: Checking the oil on Aspencade 1200

Postby Quarteg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I followed the manual (just as you suggested) when I first checked the oil before posting my question. It was just odd to me that dipping in 3 times in a row (wiping each time) would give me 3 different readings. I will chalk it up to being cold and go from there.

As for running rich, we had a warm spot here in Wisconsin where it hit a balmy 50 degrees. With that said there was little to no smoke coming out the back, and the running rich smell was gone also. I added Seafoam before your reply and I might run another bottle through as well. I live and breath Seafoam with my past bike and my current.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

~ John
"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”