Really Confused about proper oil to use 84 1200 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
flutie
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Really Confused about proper oil to use 84 1200 Interstate

Postby flutie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 am

Hey Guys

Been searching all over via google etc to find best oil to use in 84 GL1200 Interstate GW. Getting lots of different answers, via reading old posts. Actually one Google search brought me to this very forum, actually sounded very in depth the conversation. In fact the one thread here was so in debth that you could feel the tension just reading :D

I want to try something different, up until now have just used straight 10w40, lifters are starting to mildly make themselves heard. I am in Canada, and it seems as if one of the faves is Chevron Dello 10w40 Diesel oil, NOT available where I am

Dealer told me to stay away from synthetics because of possible clutch slippage...reading all I can, reading disagreements between folks, CAN ANYBODY guide me to what oil I should use

Thanks

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Really Confused about proper oil to use 84 1200 Interst

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 am

flutie wrote:Hey Guys

Dealer told me to stay away from synthetics because of possible clutch slippage...reading all I can, reading disagreements between folks, CAN ANYBODY guide me to what oil I should use

Thanks

Not too sure what you are looking for, if you've been doing enough reading you'll see that there are plenty of differing opinions on oil use. So yes, lots of people can guide you on which oil to use.....ten people, ten different answers.

I'm currently (after head rebuild and WP change) using Rotella T, currently onsale locally at CTC, 21 for 5 litres.
After a few rides in the spring, when everything is cleaned out, I'll probably switch to Rotella T3 synthetic, ~43 for 5 litres. Both oils are JASA MA spec, so just fine for wet clutch bikes.

As for your dealer's recommendation....uh...
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content/motorcycle.honda.ca/32f3ec00-2734-4f19-bd2c-88e2d4b32653/GenericContent_FFH/oils-and-applications-en.pdf

Maybe he should inform Mother Honda's engineering division about his concerns, and instruct them to take Honda's own synthetic and semi sythetic oil off the market. :lol:

My two pennies.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

flutie

Postby flutie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

SteveB123 wrote:

Thanks

Not too sure what you are looking for, if you've been doing enough reading you'll see that there are plenty of differing opinions on oil use. So yes, lots of people can guide you on which oil to use.....ten people, ten different answers.

I'm currently (after head rebuild and WP change) using Rotella T, currently onsale locally at CTC, 21 for 5 litres.
After a few rides in the spring, when everything is cleaned out, I'll probably switch to Rotella T3 synthetic, ~43 for 5 litres. Both oils are JASA MA spec, so just fine for wet clutch bikes.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content/motorcycle.honda.ca/32f3ec00-2734-4f19-bd2c-88e2d4b32653/GenericContent_FFH/oils-and-applications-en.pdf

Maybe he should inform Mother Honda's engineering division about his concerns, and instruct them to take Honda's own synthetic and semi sythetic oil off the market. :lol:

My two pennies.

Thanks Steve very much! Funny thing is this...I found this forum through a google search and you were one of the main characters in the thread I read under GW 1800, was actually hoping I could respond to you being in Ontario and you actually sounded like you knew what you were talking about.

Now I said looking for guidance, must have sounded like I would take the first suggestion, just that my experience up until now has been ...atleast seems to me that Chevron Dello Diesel was the overwhelming favorite, but not available in Canada.

One guy that sounded like he knew what he was talking about mentioned the Shell Rotella but cautioned me about not buying the wrong Rotella.

I love Can Tire, have one handy in Minden, in fact we just got it this year

So I want to try the Rotella T, currently onsale locally at CTC, 21 for 5 litres. that you mentioned, is there any way I can make a mistake if I get that specific one you mentioned...

Also your bike looks a lot like mine, tried to blow pic up, is yours a 84 interstate 1200 also? its same color everything. Thanks very much for your help, I was leaning in the direction you mentioned, but just needed confirmation of a couple things. Have you ever had lifter noise in your bike?

Thanks for taking time to respond :)

flutie

Postby flutie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:29 pm

flutie wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:

Thanks

My two pennies.

Thanks Steve very much! Funny thing is this...I found this forum through a google search and you were one of the main characters in the thread I read under GW 1800, was actually hoping I could respond to you being in Ontario and you actually sounded like you knew what you were talking about.

Now I said looking for guidance, must have sounded like I would take the first suggestion, just that my experience up until now has been ...atleast seems to me that Chevron Dello Diesel was the overwhelming favorite, but not available in Canada.

One guy that sounded like he knew what he was talking about mentioned the Shell Rotella but cautioned me about not buying the wrong Rotella.

I love Can Tire, have one handy in Minden, in fact we just got it this year

So I want to try the Rotella T, currently onsale locally at CTC, 21 for 5 litres. that you mentioned, is there any way I can make a mistake if I get that specific one you mentioned...

Also your bike looks a lot like mine, tried to blow pic up, is yours a 84 interstate 1200 also? its same color everything. Thanks very much for your help, I was leaning in the direction you mentioned, but just needed confirmation of a couple things. Have you ever had lifter noise in your bike?

Thanks for taking time to respond :)

Just a funny update for you Steve

Called the closest Honda Dealer to me...Lindsay Cycle Lindsay Ontario, talked to parts guy asked him if they carried either Rotella T or Chevron Dello 400, and he had no idea of such oils, spoke to me for a few minutes, I explained what they were and that many motorcycle forums, particularly Gold Wings use them, and they are very good with wet clutches, the guy was very dismissive of both, really I do not think he had heard of either, basically said be careful what you read on internet.

Also called a non specific generic dealer, the guy there just simply said he was uncomfortable commenting on such oils, admitted he really did not know about them, and that he was skeptical of claims. He did say that they offered a DelRay semi synthetic oil that was very good, I currently have basic delray 1040 in my bike, was the info dealer gave me, was clear and clean on dip stick

Just sharing....I have read enough to feel confident that it will do no harm, and possibly help...afraid in past I never realized just how important oil was, for sure I did reg changes

I am picking up the Rotella T in white jug from CT , and new filter nearby

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Flutie, welcome to the totally enjoyable world of the '84 interstate!

I'm from Canada too.

A couple of points for you. If you are confused and not sure to trust the advice or not then use a motorcycle specific oil and know that you may or may not be paying too much, but that it was intended for a motorcycle like yours.
For oils that are not motorcycle specific, the important thing is that they have the JASO MA words on the label. This indicates that it is OK to use where a motorcycle multi-plate wet clutch is involved.
As far as the Delo 400 oil is concerned, try your nearest truck stop. Truckers love this oil. Any Chevron truck stop will sell it. You might find it at an agricultural supply, like a Co-op as well, even by the 20 liter pail at a substantial saving. Be sure it is NOT Delo 100! that is a very good oil, but intended solely for Detroit Diesel Two stroke engines.

The problem with Shell Rotella oil in Canada at least is that there are a number of versions of it. It is a great oil, but some of it has friction reducing additives which may or may not be shown on the label. Again, if it says JASO MA it is OK to use.

I also have a wineberry red '84 interstate. I have used a large number of oils in it, some were definitely the wrong thing to use and others were more or less equal as far as performance was concerned. I've used both the Rotella and the Delo 400 and both were excellent oils, and these machines seem to love 15w-40 oil. Personally I have drifted about through many oils, even full synthetic $12/liter Motorcycle oils and have finally settled on good quality 20W 50 M/C specific conventional oil. I have no trouble with starter sprague clutch but some have had these issues with oil that thick.
15W 40 seems to work well as a compromise between thick oil that keeps the transmission quiet, and thinner oils that don't affect the starter clutch.

Lifter noise was something some of the 84's were prone to on occasion. I think in 85, Honda changed the parameters of the assembly line for the rockers, specifically end clearance, and that seemed to solve the problem. Generally the cure to noisy lifters is frequent oil changes for a period of time. Actually that seems to solve the sticky starter clutch issue as well. There is a note about rocker end play in the factory manual. Steve123's bike is a GL1100 which has manually adjusted valve lash unlike our 1200's which have hydraulically adjusted rockers, so he won't have had the same rocker noise you describe.

Above all, more important than which oil you choose, is how often you choose to change it. You will find all kinds of owners preaching frequent oil change intervals. I'm one of them.

flutie

Postby flutie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm

feetup wrote:Hi Flutie, welcome to the totally enjoyable world of the '84 interstate!

I'm from Canada too.

A couple of points for you. If you are confused and not sure to trust the advice or not then use a motorcycle specific oil and know that you may or may not be paying too much, but that it was intended for a motorcycle like yours.
For oils that are not motorcycle specific, the important thing is that they have the JASO MA words on the label. This indicates that it is OK to use where a motorcycle multi-plate wet clutch is involved.
As far as the Delo 400 oil is concerned, try your nearest truck stop. Truckers love this oil. Any Chevron truck stop will sell it. You might find it at an agricultural supply, like a Co-op as well, even by the 20 liter pail at a substantial saving. Be sure it is NOT Delo 100! that is a very good oil, but intended solely for Detroit Diesel Two stroke engines.

The problem with Shell Rotella oil in Canada at least is that there are a number of versions of it. It is a great oil, but some of it has friction reducing additives which may or may not be shown on the label. Again, if it says JASO MA it is OK to use.

I also have a wineberry red '84 interstate. I have used a large number of oils in it, some were definitely the wrong thing to use and others were more or less equal as far as performance was concerned. I've used both the Rotella and the Delo 400 and both were excellent oils, and these machines seem to love 15w-40 oil. Personally I have drifted about through many oils, even full synthetic $12/liter Motorcycle oils and have finally settled on good quality 20W 50 M/C specific conventional oil. I have no trouble with starter sprague clutch but some have had these issues with oil that thick.
15W 40 seems to work well as a compromise between thick oil that keeps the transmission quiet, and thinner oils that don't affect the starter clutch.

Lifter noise was something some of the 84's were prone to on occasion. I think in 85, Honda changed the parameters of the assembly line for the rockers, specifically end clearance, and that seemed to solve the problem. Generally the cure to noisy lifters is frequent oil changes for a period of time. Actually that seems to solve the sticky starter clutch issue as well. There is a note about rocker end play in the factory manual. Steve123's bike is a GL1100 which has manually adjusted valve lash unlike our 1200's which have hydraulically adjusted rockers, so he won't have had the same rocker noise you describe.

Above all, more important than which oil you choose, is how often you choose to change it. You will find all kinds of owners preaching frequent oil change intervals. I'm one of them.

Thanks very much feetup, great post!

Actually I just this minute got back from Can Tire, purchased the right Rotella T oil in white jug, it clearly has the JASO MA and 1 other that was mentioned (jug in garage as we speak)

Just took me a while to make sure I got right jug, wanted to be sure.... I will probably evolve along lines as you, now that I have taken fist step we shall see

Running Sea Foam through, and wil pick up the new filter next warmish daY 40 degree F is fine for me, take a long ride and then drain and fill with new. :D

Thanks for the info on lifters, yes Hydraulic in the 84 1200 for sure.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Delo 400 LE is available in Ontario usually at Husky outlets, but somewhat more expensive than buying it at Walmart in Niagara Falls, I saw some over there about $11.00 gallon on Monday 12 Nov.

flutie

Postby flutie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 am

tricky wrote:Delo 400 LE is available in Ontario usually at Husky outlets, but somewhat more expensive than buying it at Walmart in Niagara Falls, I saw some over there about $11.00 gallon on Monday 12 Nov.

Thanks Trcky

Will make a note of it. Just yesterday I did a oil change after running SEAFOAM, and then put in Rotella T 15W40. Took a ride last night, not sure if I notice anything different or not yet, bike runs beautifully before, but had what sounded like sporadic lifter noise, never heard any in my ride last night, but being somewhat sporadic I cant say for sure yet.

I think it sounded and shifted even better, but cant say if that`s just my wanting it to be the case? Going out again shortly, I did go out and start it this morning at 29-30 F, It normally starts with 1 quick push on starter, this morning It started first push as always but stalled after 5 seconds, then started again on second for another 5 seconds, the third hit (just a hit no holding) stayed running, so that may have been the thicker oil, and if that`s as bad as it gets...WONDERFUL :D

icebox
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby icebox » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:07 pm

flutie wrote:
feetup wrote:Hi Flutie, welcome to the totally enjoyable world of the '84 interstate!

I'm from Canada too.

Thanks very much feetup, great post!

Actually I just this minute got back from Can Tire, purchased the right Rotella T oil in white jug, it clearly has the JASO MA and 1 other that was mentioned (jug in garage as we speak)

Just took me a while to make sure I got right jug, wanted to be sure.... I will probably evolve along lines as you, now that I have taken fist step we shall see

Running Sea Foam through, and wil pick up the new filter next warmish daY 40 degree F is fine for me, take a long ride and then drain and fill with new. :D

Thanks for the info on lifters, yes Hydraulic in the 84 1200 for sure.

I have been running Rotella T3 synthetic in my '86 Interstate with no problems . Smooth as silk. 21 bucks a gallon usually.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Really Confused about proper oil to use 84 1200 Interstate

Postby SilverDave » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Well here is a truism :
<<which oil to use ??.....ten people, ten different answers.

There was a very long article about 9 years ago my an engineer in California.. He found that all oils from the best synthetic to the cheapest motorcycle oil all started to lose their viscosity after 1500 mi and have much much less metal protection after 2500 .
As well after 3000 most of the additive package( detergents, dispersants and acidic buffers ) in the oil have broken down.
And he found this was true for all the oils he tested.

See Here :

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html#Oil

-------------------------------------------------------
The real point is that 1200's have a much higher ( and more expensive ) risk factor in their oil immersed stator ..
Its possible that the corrosive acids in older oil can slowly destroy the poor old stator coils .

and Re and Re on the stator will cost you $1000+ from Honda , or most of a weekend with a good friend , if you choose DIY.

-----------------------------------------------
So heres my advice : I use any quality oil I can find with no "Friction reducing " on the logo, and with the JASO MA rating
Good Motorcycle oil is often on sale at Canadian Tire, as is the Rotella.

... and I change my oil every 3000 to 4000 km .
Oil is much cheaper than a stator repair !!

A 30 yo machine can often have starting problems from gunk in the starter sprague gears.. They sometimes miss on the start, especially if cold.
So I throw about a 1/4 liter of MMO or Seafoam in the oil about 100 km before that frequent oil change .

The disgusting gunk that always comes out is a good thing for the starter gears, and if its that black, its probably partially acidic ..

---------------------------
but as Steve said : << which oil to use?.....ten people, ten different answers >>

LOL LOL.

SilverDave

JacquesLClavette
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby JacquesLClavette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 am

I have a 1987 Aspencade 1200 and I have been using Honda's HP-4 without MOLY, ever since the breaking oil was out of it and I never had any problems, but you have to specify when buying your oil ''without MOLY'', if you use the HP-4 with Moly you will experience bad clutch slippage, I change the oil and filter every 5000 KM and when you check it, it's like maple sirop.lol, and by the way I also live in eastern Québec Canada .

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:15 am

I started using the rotella T 15-40 in the intruder, just did the "new to me" oil change in the wing with the same oil. Doing the helix with the same oil next week. (only 900 miles, but wife does not put a lot of miles on and in a helix the oil "is the filter")

I have thought about doing summer/winter oils since it is usually above 90 much of the time on the long rides through the western summer, but I get enough riding in the winter to not have to winterize.

Just haven't really thought about what I would need to do for that. I'd have to find what I want in a 5-30 and 20-50 version.

Boatswain62
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby Boatswain62 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Hey,
Go online and go to the Amelia website, put in your bike year and model. In my humble opinion they have the best oil on the market today. can't find it in most stores. A little pricey but worth every penny!
Do some research and you will feel the same. I've been using it for a very long time and all my engines love me for it.
Boatswain62

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:58 am

I have had great luck with Honda GN4 oil in my 1981 CBX. Right now HDL has it for $59.42 for a case of 12 or about 4.95 per quart. In the cooler weather I run 10w40 and in the summer 20w50 but the CBX is air cooled unlike the Wing.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:03 am

Boatswain62 wrote:Hey,
Go online and go to the Amelia website, put in your bike year and model. In my humble opinion they have the best oil on the market today. can't find it in most stores. A little pricey but worth every penny!
Do some research and you will feel the same. I've been using it for a very long time and all my engines love me for it.
Boatswain62

Did you mean Amzoil website? I found a bunch of stuff under Amelia but not related to oil.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”