relays for the body lights and the fog lights. how to set up

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

relays for the body lights and the fog lights. how to set up

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 am

Ok so I got my bike back today from the shop and nothing had been done to her. I want to start riding her again (so what its cold who cares) I want to reinstall the relays for the body lights and fog lights so that they run properly, and are not in a mishmash of confusing wires. I also want to label where each wire goes with heat shrink tubing. Unless I can find a relay socket that I can install in the electronics’ bay. I want the body lights L.E.D's to stay on even when stopped as a safty. The fog lights i only turn on when needed so i'm not looking to cut into the harness except so that they come on only when the key is in the on poss.
I want this to be done in a safe manor unlike how the P.O. had done it.
I was wondering if anyone had experience in doing such a thing and how to do it.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: relays for the body lights and the fog lights. how to se

Postby SilverDave » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 pm

The wiring diagram for a 1200 is a complex mess of colour coded wires, even at the best of times :

http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Go ... -610B0.JPG

The re-wiring you want will take many weekends, and will proceed slowly. Get a manual with a wiring diagram in it, and start to trace and label your bike. Relays, if you need more are fairly cheap :

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/ ... relay.html
and can be placed wherever you need them.

When I got my 1200, the PO had used " Black" for hot, for ground, for neutral return, and for both left and right turn signals on the trailer wiring !!!...
It took the better part of half a year , in bits to get it to where I wanted it... and I added driving lights, a better horn, and an Electrical Connections 1200 wiring harness as I went along ( as well as a MP3 player, and a 110 volt ( inverter) plug for Xmas lights, and phone recharging )... LOL

The 1200 wire color code will make sense , once you start using the factory wiring diagram.

I'd suggest you start with the most annoying part of the circuit and slowly label and repair it . ( sounds like its your LED's and fog lights )
.... ( Mine was my trailer turn lights )
As I corrected, and added wires to the actual machine, I also added lines and wires to my Clymer wiring diagram, so I could refer to changes as I accessed items several weeks later.

I have a 1500 friend who printed a 4x scale colour wiring Diagram , to hang in his shop , and refer to as he modifies items !!

What you wanted , is certainly NOT a Saturday morning project!!! Take it slowly, and fix and label the most critical parts first.
You will probably find your brain fries after about 2 to 3 hours of wiring .

Good luck
SilverDave

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 am

Ok so I think my question was missunderstood. I'm not looking to fuss or mess with the current relays on my bike. Let me expand on the orgenel setup the po had for the body lights and fog lights.

The po had two blade ends that feed into the radio fuse location in the fuse block. This then led to thee different fuses one the was for the body lights and one for the fog lights and one for surge protection I believe these wires fed into two relays that where added for the lights. The relays connected to the battery and to the relays then to the switches and the lights. I want to set it up like this again but use the fused assory port this time and wire it properly. I don't understand how it was set up and I'm afraid to try it on my own.

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am

Firstly, wiring is a terribly hard thing to fix "on-line".

The variations and placement of aftermarket wiring make it quite difficult to describe, let alone "fix"

I'd highly suggest you try to find a GWRRA member in your area.. almost all 1500/1800 drivers once owned a 1200... and most are quite willing to help another 1200 rider to fix up their machine ...

Except for the 3 inline fuses, it sounds as if the PO had wired your fog lights "correctly" .... messy ? perhaps... but electrically correct ...

One post of a relay should be connected directly to the battery, (and that one is usually fused ) to carry the large light/horn load, while the other terminals are lighter wire, and carry the switching capability up to the handlebars or wherever.

If you are going to re-wire it, You are going to have to learn quite a bit about relay wiring :

See this article :
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

( for more than you might ever want to know about relays )

There is so little current in a relay activation switch line, that wiring it to the radio fuse, or to the "Acc" fuse makes no difference, electrically .

If you really want to move the activation wires, look up your individual relay, and find out which is Terminal "1" or on some relays "86" 85 goes to ground, "30" has the large current.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fuBrp5aqZDo/T ... wiring.jpg

Without seeing your actual wiring, it sounds as if it is is done correctly ... electrically correct , that is ...The large current wires (30) should be fused, to protect the bike.

The only change I might make, aside from labeling and bundling the wires would be in the three inline fuses . Your fog lights, LED's should be fused, but 3 in-line fuses make it hard to track down , when one blows.

I placed a large ( single) fuse close to the battery( hot side ) and led a hot 12ga wire to under the false tank, as well as a ground wire...
Placing wire after wire after wire on the hot side of the battery terminal leads to a mess of connectors there,, and I found it neater and better to wire accessories directly under the false tank.

Good luck! Some pics might help us sort out your difficulty....

SilverDave

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 am

First of all I want to thank you for the like to the sockets for the relays as that is a huge help as it will allow me to install them properly. Secondly thank you for that article on relay how two as it will allow me to install the relays properly without going to the stealership. I see now how and why I had a fire on my bike and am fully sure not that it was because of the way the PO had wired it. I can fix it this weekend thankfully. Now for a silly question should I use a relay for the lighter socket and if I don’t plan on having it switched will it still just turn on with the bike?

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:36 am

Anything that might draw enough current to possibly melt wires should be fused at least ...
Take a look here :
http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Wire%20Gau ... -8C4E0.pdf

I think a cigarette lighter is used so in-frequently that just a fuse is ok ..So I don't think a relay is necessary...
After all, cigarette smoking is bad for you ....he he he ...

Mine does double duty as a socket plug-in map light and night-time trouble light , but I think the wiring is able to stand that small current ...

....and since I want it available, even if the key is off, I ran a fused 14 ga line directly from the battery, and tapped the cigarette socket, and my voltmeter into this line. Socket is available all the time, for a light plug-in ... voltmeter reads battery voltage directly and thus more accurately ...
.. but the voltmeter is "acc" relayed ( very small, cheap relay )so its only on when key is on.

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 pm

*everything* should be fused. The ONLY wires that should be carrying unfused power are the wires going from your battery to the fuses - and those wires should be kept as short as possible to mitigate the chance that they are damaged and short out.

Even if the wire is supplying only a small item such as a voltmeter, it could potentially be pinched and shorted out somewhere, and subsequently draw many amps - heating up and catching fire. The fuse should also be sized for the circuit. When I wire an accessory into my bike, I will measure the current draw at the fuse, then put a fuse in that is rated for 2-3 amps more than that (to avoid nuisance fuse blows).

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you all for your help. I have set up my relays safely and properly. I am happy to say that the body lights are working properly and the relays are no longer a huge cluster of crap. While I haven't connected the flood lights yet due to having to re-run the wires to the lights. They are set up to me done safely. As for my lighter I'm going to run it direct from the battery with a fused power line and have it switched so it wont be on all the time but can be if i want but off as well.

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 am

here is my rewired relay system for the body lights and the flood lights i have the relay post still in covered do to needed to install it but the whole unie is installed under the seat. the round yellow ring goes to the body ground while the two fused lines go to the Battery positive

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”