Left rear end turn and break lights out

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Left rear end turn and break lights out

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 am

Pol so I spent all day getting my baby rebuilt. When I went out for a test drive I found the entire left side rear is dark no running lights no break no turn. Does anyone have a guess as what might have done it. I'm going to pull the seat and look the connections over but I'm at a loss

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Re: Left rear end turn and break lights out

Postby feetup » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

Yes, you are headed in the right direction.

There are plugs and looms of wire for the rear lights clipped to the inner fender. They are covered by a rubber boot that you can slide out of the way. The clips can be bent up to free the looms, but gently. If there have been any lights added in the rear this is probably where they took the power from, and might have caused a problem. Clean both halves of the plugs, check that they are not corroded, smear them with dielectric grease and reassemble them completely till the little lock clicks into place. Be sure the wire looms are relaxed and not trying to pull the plugs apart.
There are also plugs inside the light body of the saddle bags. The fasteners for the light are on the inside of the bag. The wire loom for these lights goes through a grommet to the connectors on top of the inner fender, under the seat. If you have light bars around the bags, the wire likely goes through the mount for these as well. Check all locations for chafe and relaxed routing of the wire looms.

There is a book available for free download in the manuals section in the title bar called the "GL1200 1985 Electrical Trouble Shooting Manual". While a number of key pages are missing from the charging and ignition system the rest of the book is complete and of tremendous help in tracking down electrical problems. Three cheers for WingAdmin once again! There is also the 1986 edition available for sale which is most likely complete. Much of the electrical is the same for all the 1200's, all years.

Good luck

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 pm

i have the etm will use it as well. i will check that book as i remember moving it and fitting it to the clamp i might have pulled it

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:29 am

Update I was able to find the problem. More hackjob wiring the po did. The bad solder joints finally gave way and the left lights took the hit. Have it wired for now but have a new main wireing harness coming in then ill rebuild the connections properly

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”