Trailer Hitch Capacity

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Trailer Hitch Capacity

Postby SAILOR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:14 pm

I've just bought this trailer hitch for my GL1200.

http://www.goldwingonline.com/products/ ... 28-38.html

I just noticed it has a tongue weight capacity of 40 lbs. I'm thinking the trailer I just bought weighs 265 lb, so that means I can only load 145 lbs in the trailer and not exceed the capacity of this hitch using the 10% tongue wait rule. Is anyone else using this hitch and do you think I could load more that 40lbs on this puppy? Or will I be asking for trouble at more that 40 lbs? Any advice on tongue weight would be appreciated.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Re: Trailer Hitch Capacity

Postby m2102 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:46 pm

unless yor trailer wheels are back to the rear from center,it would be hard to adjust the weight. if they are centered on the trailer,you should be able to load close to capacity as long as you distribute the weight evenly from center, front to back.this is only a "guess"since i haven't picked up my trailer yet. but keep an even balance and should be ok.if you have a stand to put the tongue on,protect the floor and add weight and compare the tongue weight from different balances.

SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Postby SAILOR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm

So I don't need to worry about the total weight of the trailer and stuff I load in the trailer? I only need to make sure i don't put more than 40 pounds of weight on the hitch? Seems like I should be able to balance the load easily, and use a scale of somekind to measure the tongue weight.

m2102

Postby m2102 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:08 pm

with trailer empty,it should be very light to lift,maybe even with a couple fingers,you want to keep as close as possible to the tongue weight so you don't get excesive bounch.experiment with different load layouts and see which is best for you. take short trips on different roads,smooth,fairly rough till you get the best feel

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 am

With too much tongue weight , the front tire will seem light, and steering is comprised, especially on wet roads... Too little, or negative tongue, and traction and handling at the rear are snaky..

When I started trailering, several times I loaded groceries, or wet tent and camping gear carelessly( in a hurry to leave ?? )
, with a tongue weight well over 50 lbs, and had to stop within a few miles to adjust ...
When you are tired ( or soaking wet, its hard to tell if its light enough ...

Now I use a battery free 50 lb fish scale that hangs in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight ... every time !!

and I try for about 20 lbs which gives me, and MY machine, and the roads I travel on the best handling ( for me at least )

Its a very personal thing, and as m2012 says ..."you want the best feel" when trailering .

SilverDave

m2102

Postby m2102 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 am

i'm going to go look at a trailer i pretty much buying site unseen,i am friends with the seller, and the idea of a scale is a good idea.after having loading one a few times,and using it often enough to get use to loading it,you could use the sacle as a spot check to see how close you get to proper loading and distribution of what you put in it

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 pm

SilverDave wrote:With too much tongue weight , the front tire will seem light, and steering is comprised, especially on wet roads... Too little, or negative tongue, and traction and handling at the rear are snaky..

When I started trailering, several times I loaded groceries, or wet tent and camping gear carelessly( in a hurry to leave ?? )
, with a tongue weight well over 50 lbs, and had to stop within a few miles to adjust ...
When you are tired ( or soaking wet, its hard to tell if its light enough ...

Now I use a battery free 50 lb fish scale that hangs in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight ... every time !!

and I try for about 20 lbs which gives me, and MY machine, and the roads I travel on the best handling ( for me at least )

Its a very personal thing, and as m2012 says ..."you want the best feel" when trailering .

SilverDave

I had the exact same experience - I figured "oh, close enough" the first time, and was very unhappy with how the trailer was moving the bike around, particularly in corners.

For my trailer, I found that a 30 pound tongue weight is the sweet spot, and gives me the best handling on the bike. I carry a small digital luggage scale that I use to lift the tongue with. I shift cargo around in the trailer to make sure I get 30 lbs on the tongue before putting it on the hitch.

Make sure things are solid in the trailer so they don't start shifting around while riding!

Return to “Camping and Trailers”