New owner, a gift by a stranger.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
YogiKai
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 Aspencade

New owner, a gift by a stranger.

Postby YogiKai » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:15 am

Hello, all.

I am a pro balloon twister, and I have been traveling around on a '81 Yamaha 850 special for several months, twisting balloons for children. About 3 weeks ago, I stopped in a Golden Corral restaurant close to Victorville, California, to eat and made balloons for the kids around me. About half an hour later, the young father of one of the kids came up to me and said, "I noticed that you look pretty cramped on that little bike with all your stuff. Ever wish you had more room?" I said, "Yes, but it is what it is." To which he replied, "Well, I have a Goldwing. You want it?"

He gave it to me. He's a night security guard for a construction company, living on the lot with his family in a double wide trailer. Said he gave it to me because he wants to help someone who gives his life making kids happy. Awesome young man, 32 years old. He's storing the Yamaha for me until I figure out what to do with it. I've put 600 miles on it thus far and, although I'm not mechanically minded, I've not found much about it that isn't in great shape. I've had it vin-checked by the police, so I know it was his to give.

That same said, it gets very low gas mileage: 23 city, 31 freeway. The bike sat on its side stand for a year. We changed the oil and filter, new battery and plugs look good. Tires are in decent shape. All the electronics work. It has the -GL1200 clunk and doesn’t seem to have much get-up-and-go, but I understand that is fairly normal for this model. I've had a couple mechanics look and listen to it, but no one knowledgeable has really checked it out since I've had it. I don't have much in the way of financial resources so have to get knowledge where I can. I haven't yet run across anyone with a compression tester, so I don't know if that might be an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these bikes tend to get mileage in the high 30's to mid-40's? Also, it has an air compressor, but can it be used to pump up the tires? If so, where's the working end? I've put a couple hundred thousand miles on bikes, but they've all been older Yamahas. This is my first Honda of any sort.

All help greatly appreciated!

buffdaddy55
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade, 2002 GL1800-Illusion Red,1981 CB650C

Re: New owner, a gift by a stranger.

Postby buffdaddy55 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 am

First of all, congrats on the gift. You will need the accessory hose to pump your tires. It attaches to the compressor out port on the compressor control panel on the right. A twist on cap covers it. :mrgreen:

YogiKai
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 Aspencade

Postby YogiKai » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 am

Excellent! Thank you. I didn't want to mess with it without knowing anything about it. Seems kind of silly now that you mention it since it does read "outport" right on it. The confusion comes from someone telling me that the port was back by the saddle bags.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Welcome and That was a nice gift,a couple of things you may want to do. Try putting some seafoam in your gas tank,change your fuel filter,change your timing belts if you dont know if they were done. Also if you can get a honda or clymers manual this will help you alot,your mileage will probably increase after the seafoam has gotten rid of any gum in your tank and carbs. If the bike has been setting for a long time the seafoam should help,have fun with your new to you bike and ride safe. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:12 pm

+1 on the seafoam.start with 1/2 a bottle for the next 4 tankfulls,should notice a difference by then. also pick up a fuel filter and have it with you should you have to replace unexpectedly.yo van pick one up at napa fairly cheap.it isn't oem but will do the job. i put one in my 1500 and had to get a hose clamp to replace the rubber holder that the oem was held with.keep us up on the results and go from there

rjlv25
Motorcycle: 2004 FXDLI Low Rider
1987 GL1200I Interstate
1982 GS1100L (SOLD)
1982 KZ1000LTD (SOLD)
1979 KZ750B4 (Traded)

Postby rjlv25 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:34 pm

One thing to mention is that the hoses that connect to the fuel filter are different diameters on each end. Since they are no longer available, my local dealer had some bulk hose that fits the smaller diameter and you can use some silicone spray on the opposite end to fit over the filter. You may find if the original hoses are still on your bike that they are cracked. I just ran across this on my '87 Interstate. That being said, congrats on your new wheels! :)

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 pm

The outport is in the right saddle bag on the 1500's. Honest mistake.

Count one more vote for seafoam or equivilant. Also make sure the air filter is clean/clear, and that none of the brakes are dragging.

Good luck and have fun.

Ron in MI

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”