throttle wont return after having carbs of for cleaning

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
markrclarke
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

throttle wont return after having carbs of for cleaning

Postby markrclarke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:12 am

Hi All newbie here: I have taken the carbs and manifols off my 84 gl1200a Aspencade to try and fix a rough idle issue. I removed the bowls one by one and they all had sediment in them, quite a lot i thought. I removed the idle and main jets in each carb and made sure they were clear. Put new o rings in the manifolds and xtra air lines and re installed the manifold and carbs. Thought i.d do the fuel filter at the same time so did that to along with the fuel lines. I had no problem attaching the throttle cables or choke cable. But when i went to physically turn the accelerator it doesnt return and the choke also has no strength in its movement, bit like a wet flounder really. I haven't attempted to start the bike yet as charging the battery tonight. Trying to get away this weekend on it but doesn't look good. Any ideas about the throttle non returning ???

Thanks

buffdaddy55
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade, 2002 GL1800-Illusion Red,1981 CB650C

Re: throttle wont return after having carbs of for cleaning

Postby buffdaddy55 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 am

:idea: Did you clean and/or lube the throttle return cable? Do you have a throttle keeper still engaged? Cable routed properly(no kinks)?
Just a few suggestions. Good luck!

markrclarke
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: throttle wont return after having carbs of for cleaning

Postby markrclarke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 pm

You wont believe it but i didn't bolt the throttle cable or choke clamps tight, so out come the carbs half way to get at them. Just doing this now. Another query i have is I have a small vacum line which come from a t between carbs 3 & 4 it is about 1 ft long and about 3/8 in diamenter. I cant find a home for it any where .. any suggestions.. There are no more connections on the carbs for it to go ??? I have looked at the schematics that i can get my hands on but this does not show it.. I have run the bike this morning and it runs fine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”