talking on your cell phone as you ride your bike

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BM1LEwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

talking on your cell phone as you ride your bike

Postby BM1LEwinger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Ok, I have found more than one way to make my cell phone's audio play into my 86 GL1200a sound system.Some work great, some not so good.

I have some basic headsets that plug into my cell phone that let me talk to a caller through a mic in the headset wire.I use this type of headset in my truck everyday.

After looking over the audio systems schematic from the tape deck to the cb and everything in between, I have almost given up getting my gl1200's cb or sound system to let me talk to a caller on my cell phone.

This forum has been highly recommended as a freindly, helpful, bunch of members and at least some of them are older wing audio experts.
Can anyone send me in the right direction? At this point I don't even care if I have to disable the CB to make it work.

Larry

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: talking on your cell phone as you ride your bike

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 am

Friendly but, opinionated! Holding a gun to your head, with a light trigger pull while riding or driving may be safer than talking on a phone while riding or driving.

BM1LEwinger

Postby BM1LEwinger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:14 pm

your telling me you never talked on your cb when your ridding? I personal don't like to talk on the phone and drive anything bike, car, truck. But if I can talk on my cb and drive with the PPT button so can my passenger.

tfdeputydawg wrote:Friendly but, opinionated! Holding a gun to your head, with a light trigger pull while riding or driving may be safer than talking on a phone while riding or driving.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes, I have. Using short instructive phrases while leading chapter rides as road captain. No long needless conversations that take attention away from the task at hand.
The passenger is a different story.

BM1LEwinger

Postby BM1LEwinger » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

ok then we are both on the same page :?

wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

Postby wrightwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm

WHY :? :? :? WHEN I'M ON MY BIKE, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ANYONE :!: :!: :!:
''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

BM1LEwinger

Postby BM1LEwinger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 pm

wrightwing wrote:WHY :? :? :? WHEN I'M ON MY BIKE, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ANYONE :!: :!: :!:

I'm a business owner and I need to be able to take a call even if I just say I'll call you back in 5 min, so I can pull off the road and return the call.

My wife spends alot of time on the back of my bike and she would like to be able to talk to our kids and other's when we are on a road trip too.

So as I described before I can add the ADUIO more than one way startting with a tape deck adapter, I have hard wired Audio in multiple ways too but I have had no luck adding the mic. At this point it would not matter if I disabled the CB to make it work I'm just trying to make it work!

I have tryed with a 3 conducter and a 4 conducter 3.5 mm cell phone plug with no luck.

I use a blue tooth now but I don't like it inside my helmet and my wife dont like it at all.

With the built in intercom and CB and having a headset in my helmet I would think I should be able to modify somthing or build an adapter for this to work.

steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 am

Cardo Scala makes a bluetooth that mounts out-side of helmet with small ear pad that mounts inside of helmet and boom mike that goes inside chin bar. Other than this, bluetooth GPS allows cell-phone to be used through audio hook-up already on bike. I wear open face elmet much of summer, wearing a (blue-ant) Q1 bluetooth which works pretty good if riding under 75 mph, sometimes have to cup had over the mouth to speak, most of time caller don't know I am riding down road. And for all the ones against talking while riding, no difference than singing while driving. Real true riders can be multi-task.

BM1LEwinger

Postby BM1LEwinger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am

steve allen wrote:Cardo Scala makes a bluetooth that mounts out-side of helmet with small ear pad that mounts inside of helmet and boom mike that goes inside chin bar. Other than this, bluetooth GPS allows cell-phone to be used through audio hook-up already on bike. I wear open face elmet much of summer, wearing a (blue-ant) Q1 bluetooth which works pretty good if riding under 75 mph, sometimes have to cup had over the mouth to speak, most of time caller don't know I am riding down road. And for all the ones against talking while riding, no difference than singing while driving. Real true riders can be multi-task.

Steve
I was trying to stay away from bluetooth but it's looking like that's my only option unless someone happens to inform me of a way, i have countless hours of trying and failing to conect the J & M headset to my cell phone threw my wing, i can get the audio but not the mic.

How does the Cardo Scala allow cell-phone to be used through audio hook-up already on bike?

steve allen
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

The Cardo Scalar does not allow calls through audio on bike, it is its own set-up. It's self contained as own system installed on helmet. Other than that, you can get a Bluetooth GPS that will work through your onboard audio you plug in through headset hook-ups and allows you to use cell phone, I think it works for driver and passenger.....not sure on that. I don't know if I was any help or just confused you (and myself) but maybe some one else will add more later and give you advise to satisfy your question.

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 pm

steve allen wrote: Real true riders can be multi-task.

That may be, and it may even work out on the back country roads, but in urban riding it only takes a half second distraction to land you in the ER. It's hard enough trying to avoid all the aggressive morons, that talking on your phone DOES place you at greater risk. Motorcycling IS risk management. I would urge everyone to read the book "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. Most of it is common sense that most of us know, but there's a lot in there that would take even those of us who have ridden for forty years by surprise.

dkcloud
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dkcloud » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 am

Just my little 2 cents but is a cell phone really that important?
Most cell phones have an answering "machine" in case a call is not answered.
When I ride, I turn my cell phone completely off and put it the left storage compartment.
That saves the battery and I will Not have that thing come between me and my ride.

Not long ago there was no such thing as a cell phone and we got along just fine without them.
Jus sayin

steve allen
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 am

86pearlblue wrote:
steve allen wrote: Real true riders can be multi-task.

That may be, and it may even work out on the back country roads, but in urban riding it only takes a half second distraction to land you in the ER. It's hard enough trying to avoid all the aggressive morons, that talking on your phone DOES place you at greater risk. Motorcycling IS risk management. I would urge everyone to read the book "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. Most of it is common sense that most of us know, but there's a lot in there that would take even those of us who have ridden for forty years by surprise.

True, I guess.....singing to your music while riding is no different than talking on cell phone. But I agree that their is a bit of distraction doing either. Ride the way you wish, ride for Jesus and ride safer and longer! Enough said.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”