1986 GL1200 SEi

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ChuckyT33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

1986 GL1200 SEi

Postby ChuckyT33 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi all,
Have been away for a while and just getting back into form here. Got a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.
All the previous problems I seemed to have were pretty much handled by finding a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Now the problem is that I seem to smell unburnt or not fully burnt fuel, and most noticeable during acceleration. Don't know where to look or check. Has anyone had this issue with the SEi Fuel Injected version and how did you resolve it?

The other issue is that the compressor works. It pumps away, unfortunately it does not pump anything. So there is being no air moved to the outlet or to the air shocks, so I just manually added air to the front and rear shocks. Is there an easy explanation as to how to get at the compressor and perhaps remove and check as to why it is working, but not pumping any air? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Re: 1986 GL1200 SEi

Postby rfoley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I have a 86 sei and I think it is the way there setup I have put about 60,000 miles on it and the Guy I bought it from I ask about gas fumes He ever could solve the problem either it may be how they were made. I have a manuel at Home and will check Your air pump problem.
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

ChuckyT33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Postby ChuckyT33 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 am

Hi,
Did you ever get a chance to see why the compressor may be working but not pumping any air to the system??
Thanks,
Chuck

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

As I've read,the compressor system uses valves to control the air flow and it's direction....the valves are leaking and (may) be repaired.???
As far as too much gas....The ECM module tries to fine tune the fuel consumption by a couple of methods....just like a car...It uses a atmospheric pressure sensor and 2 vacuum sensors...there are specific tests for each in the manual.
There is also a specified working fuel pressure on the injectors that is regulated by a return line pressure regulator....Some adjustments may be possible there too.

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm

No I have not been cold no heat in Shop. Starting to warn now I will be out theree and look for You. Sorry for the delay. :)

Roger Foley
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

Burnout2XS
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEI

Postby Burnout2XS » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 am

Howdee All...
Am new to this website, so not sure where to start in the Forums with my questions, etc. Trying this one:-) I also have an 1986 GL1200 SEI. I bought it last summer back in June. I rode the thing for a month and a half, then... the dreaded stater went out on it. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper about it especially when I found out that the flippin motor had to come out to change the thing. It has been sittin in my storage shed since then, 9 months. (Basically, just a $2500 flowerpot till now) A friend of mine at work that has a GL1100 told me about the Poorboy car alt conversion. Which, of course, gave me some enthuzeeazum back about the bike getting up and running again!
I just over this past weekend, cut all 3 wires coming out of the stater, bought new battery, and it DOES still run! Happy-happy-Joy-joy!!! It didnt kill anything else electrical when it fried.
Sooo... I have been researching about various car alt additions to the GW. Going to go with the Poorboy version stuff. Am going to just do the crank pulley and various nuts n bolts brackets thing. Alternator and belt will do my self.
My question is, and I am going to just do the 1 wire alternator thing... Should I go with a 35amp, 40amp or 45amp Alt?? I have in some of my researches, that its best to get a gell cell battery if amperage gets over a certain amount. I dont want overkill on amperage, but do want just a little more than enough. Hope that came out right:-)
Sorry for this long winded speach here:-) Any help would be appreciated greatly:-)
Thanks All and have a great 2013 summer and safe fun riding!!

Burnout2XS
Northern CA

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 am

Alternator conversion....Technically speaking,you can outfit the bike with any size you like.The battery will draw what it needs to recharge...The excess will be available for added equipment.
Size your conversion to 125% above the demand.
As I remember,the SEI has a stock 30 amp(350 watt) charging system,a bit larger than the gl1100/1200(300 watt) interstate.
If your gonna add stuff,increase the amps from the alternator accordingly.
More avaiable amps allows more stuff.
Stock=30 amp....use a 35 amp.It will add a extra 60 watts avaiable.
A 40 amp adds a extra 120 watt capable load above factory specs.
A 45 amp adds a extra 180 watt capable load above factory specs.
It has little effect on the battery.It's only there to crank the engine,stabilize the voltage,and smooth out AC ripple from the alternator(whine).
Using a 1 wire is fine,just dog off the rest of the bikes R/R wires.
I do suggest replacing the original red wires with a bit larger ones and soldering all the connectors used.
By all means,replace the original dog bone fuse with a good heavy duty fuse holder too.

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 pm

as for the Gel Battery I think it's a good Idea, I put a Gel Battery in mine last year and I think it's the best thing I could have done.
Johan

jstarkie
Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing ltd

Postby jstarkie » Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 am

Hey its justin from vancouver island chemainus. Got an 85 ltd. To all you guys with these bikes i have realized that having the tps voltage at 0.475 to 0.495 volts like the supplement manual shows you is the make it or break it ajustment on these injection systems. Thats right ! It took me two years on my own with no ones help to figure out that the tiny little window of electrical ajustment as i mentioned if out of its range is the differance between 25mpg to lots of power and tan plugs with 50mpg.i tested this by putting standard bolts in my tps so i could ride with the cowling off and a wrench and meter in my pocket to get it set bang on. I had to build wire taps into my tps wires to read with my meter while its still all connected.all potentiometers drift out of spec electricaly.and on these bikes it takes less .030 of a volt out of range to have the computer messed right up and dumping fuel in making it smell like raw fuel and even black smoke out the pipes.so far ive only seen two other guys on the net now figure this out.now yearly maintenace will be to re dial in the sensor this way to ensure its set right on par. To give you an idea.physically turning the tps in the body even an eighth of an in is enough to go way out of ajustment. If anyone wants more info on how to set these themselves ill be happy to help.my gain was 15 mpg and a pile of more torque.just from a simple movement of the tps and snug the bolts back up. Yee ha the ltd smokes no more.im smileing from ear to ear.

jstarkie

Postby jstarkie » Sun May 26, 2013 2:13 am

Justin starkie from chemainus vancouver island here. To chuck i have the solution not just for the unbirnt gas smell which is your new tps sensor out of its 0.475 to 0.495 volt range but i had the same problem with my air pump too. you have to pull out the pump valve system from the fairing. It takes a bit but with simple tools pretty staight forward. the valve body has to come apart. There is tiny steel check balls in there that get stuck in place from sitting .next time you go to use it .pumps away but wont build pressure . Mine did the exact identical thing after sitting for the winter. I popped it apart. Freed up the valves amd check balls making sure its all clean and whala. A pump that pumps like the day it was new again. Do this to yours and im sure youle just find one check ball is stuck.they must move free.get your mechanic guy to build a live wire tap for his meter to properly set the new tps sensor in position while the bike is keyed on and powered up.you can have all the new tps sensors in the world but if that sensor wasnt set 0.475 to 0.495 key on live ajusted that bike of yours is no where near running the way it should yet. why do you think the japanese put tamper proof bolts o these sensors on these bikes when the built them. Cause the fine tuneing of the sensor is so critical to this old fuel injection system they pre set it at the factory and want so other person out there ever touching it or all these bikes would be back to the shop brcause of the black smoke that poors out the pipes. And raw fuel smell.

jstarkie

Postby jstarkie » Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 am

Justin from vancouver island chemainus here. One thing i forgot to note is that my bike i thaught the tps was bad .with the usual black smoke raw fuel smell like we all here about these all over the internet.but as a jouneyman marine and bike mechanic i went back to my electrical basics and knowlage knowing that a reostat or potentiometer as is gets old will change in resistance. And with resistance changing so will the electricity going through it. That being said i decided that my tps sensor, a glorified reostat or stereo volume knob in your car that deos the same thing was just old and probably gone out of ajustment. Sure enough i found exactly that.it was just needing to be recalibrated.so to all the 85 ltd and 86 sei bikes left out there that have owners terring there hair out cause they cant figure out the black smoke, fouling plugs, sputtering and no power. Before you go any further. Nock those tamper proof bolts off the tps sensor and get it ajusted. Mine is back in spec and still happily running on the original sensor from 1985. I already had the honda car sensor ready to do the conversion . That was a close one. I almost wasted a bunch af money and time for nothing. Hope my discovery helps a couple more guys make these beutifull classic bikes see the open road even longer.

Burnout2XS
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEI

Postby Burnout2XS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 am

Howdee All...
Update on my Poorboy alternator installation. I ended up putting a 70amp hot rod style single wire on the bike. Luckly when the stock stator went out, it did not fry anything else:) I now have 2000 miles since putting the alternator on...WORKS GREAT!!! Now, I actually trust the thing to go some where far away. Have'nt gone yet other than locally, but planning more this summer:)
I did order the kit that Poorboy offers, crank pulley and brackets. When I had all of the front cams covers off, I did replace the timing belts. They were shot! Also come to find out, when facing the front of the motor, the cam timing for the right cam was right on, but the cam timing for the left side was off 1 tooth. Maybe this happend with previous owner? Do'nt know for sure. Luckly it did'nt hurt anything, but now I know why the thing was such a dog before. Runs great now:)
All in all, doing the work myself, it cost me around $400 for everything by the time I was done. I do HIGHLY suggest to anyone that has their stock stator fry on the Wing, to do the car Alt conversion. Costs less and will end up being more reliable in the future:)

My next question would be, all of my timing is perfect now. Throttle bodies need to be sync'd, but they are not that far off. ONLY between 2800 and 1800 when backing off the gas, it backfires! What the heck? I have never heard of fuel injection motors backfiring..that I know of anyways:) Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, and ALL have a great 2013 summer:)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”