85 ltd cutting out

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
saltmar14
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1982 cm250c

85 ltd cutting out

Postby saltmar14 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 am

my bike has started dieing when i down shift or stop. for awhile it has had a dead spot when i go slow that i have as yet had time to find and was waiting to find out if insurance was going to take it and don't want to spend money on it until the settlement is through. the bike is my main source of transportation so need to keep it running. the self diagnostic lights are not on so i am not sure if it is the tps sensor. could it be bad gas? clogged filter? anything else? i put 2tbls of stp jet cleaner in the tank every tank or two.

saltmar14
1982 cm250c

Re: 85 ltd cutting out

Postby saltmar14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this morning started up fine, ran great till it warmed up then died every time i down shifted or stopped unless i kept the rpm up which is not fun. i will check the fuel filter tomorrow and try to figure out how to check the tps with a multi tester. there are no fuel filters in town all need to order and want between 55-59.00. any replacement or cheaper?

ChasK
Motorcycle: 06 Victory Vegas
84 ASPENCADE

Postby ChasK » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am

I bought an 85 ltd last year and it would die every time the weather got warm (~90* or so). It would bog and stumble at low RPM's until it came up to temp, run good for 5 - 10 miles or so, then act up again. The engine temp never got too hot, just barely over the 1/2 way mark on the gauge. I put new fuel filter, plugs, air filter on it and use sea foam in the gas religiously but no change. I always thought it acted like vapor-lock and when i got to looking at the fuel system setup it supported my suspicions. On my bike the fuel routed out of the tank but before it gets to the pump it goes through a chrome "mixing chamber" (for lack of better words) that also has hot fuel going into it from the fuel pressure regulator on it's way back to the tank. The hot fuel mixed with the cool fuel warming it, and goes back through the system over & over. Like yours, as it got warm, it would start to cut out at a stop sign or light and I had to keep the RPM's up, eventually the bike would coast to the side of the road with one hot owner. It would do this at high speeds or low, it didn't matter, at these times, if I would touch the fuel filter it would be so hot I couldn't hold my hand on it very long, once it cooled down it would run again.

I checked for a solution on every Goldwing site I could find but all I found was other folks scratching their heads and giving suggestions but no one saying that they actually did cure it. My fix was to remove the "mixing chamber" and simply route the fuel straight to the pump from the tank (still going through the shut off valve) and back to the tank from the pressure regulator. This actually removes several inches of fuel line and cleans up the bikes appearance. Unfortunately I "fixed" it too late in the year for a conclusive test, it never acted up again but the weather didn't get hot again here in Iowa either. I can say the fuel filter ran much cooler after I did this and I'll know if it was truly a cure in a few months. If it was the cure, I will report back here so others can benefit from it.

I wish someone would explain why Honda set it up this way, it's like they were developing a diesel Wing and this prototype of its fuel system got put on my bike by accident. Why else would you mix hot fuel with cool fuel on anything other than a diesel?

saltmar14
1982 cm250c

Postby saltmar14 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 am

my proublem i had before was fixed by upping the idle to 1100 rpm. it worked for awhile but fri. i went to start it up after riding off and on doing errands and it wouldn't start, on big slope so tried to start by coasting down hill and putting in 2nd,no go, got a jump but died every time i took jumpers off. i couldn't here fuel pump when turned on and thought i saw the computer code lamps flash on then then off.finally started and headed home with wife following in toe in car. almost home and wife headed off when bike died, everything went dark except fuel light, fuel light had come on before engine died. could not restart by jumping so used gwrra towing and got it home.

i put the battery tender on and next mourning fired up like normal, i let it run for awhile no proublem. volts at idle on gauge showed 10.5v, rev got it to 14v. i started it up again later, volts showed 8-9v put meter on it showed 12-14v reved but soon started to act up with idle at 7-8rpms then it died and wouldn't even crank.

i have the battery at battery shop being tested as i thought that even though it shows 12v it might be shot under load and not taking charge from regulator so bike died as there wasen't enough to power every thing. can't test stator as it isn't running.

could it be stator? fuel pump? injector system? short? or battery? any other ideas? thanks!

saltmar14
1982 cm250c

Postby saltmar14 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am

stator was bad, will try the poor boy when i can.

Gus Riley
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing LTD

Postby Gus Riley » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Ok, maybe a fix...in researching the forums for the same issue(s) one forum poster wrote that he had once poured cold water on the fuel line right where it enters the fuel pump. He stated that the engine leveled out and ran well or much better. I got to thinking, maybe a hose of some sort could be routed to that fuel hose section and cool it somewhat with ram air? I did just that. I took some aircraft air cooling hose(scat hose) and routed it. At 83 degrees and humid it WORKED!!! I test rode for half an hour. I could bring the engine close to red line and it never missed a beat...not once. After my test ride I shut it down and felt the fuel line at the fuel pump...I could comfortably touch it no problem...as before it was hot! So I am waiting for a 90 degree plus day to test it again.
hopefully my pictures will post here. It isn't pretty, but it really isn't too awful looking either.
Attachments

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:00 am

saltmar14 wrote:stator was bad, will try the poor boy when i can.

Did the alt mod on my '85 LTD and quite pleased with it, put on a 50 amp 3-wire alternator, more than enough power. Not a lot of room in the front though.

Installed an aftermarket fuel filter. This is my thread on the change:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33846

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”