goldwing gl1200 de 1984 interstate first starting noise

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
steelhorseangel
Motorcycle: honda goldwing
gl1200 de interstate

goldwing gl1200 de 1984 interstate first starting noise

Postby steelhorseangel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

hi wingers

angel here from the uk.

my project goldwing was delivered today. i bought the bike as seen!

1) the exhaust was rotten. this was removed today. so many seized bolts. used a product called 'freeze and release'. this unlocked the rusty fastenings. just about to order a stainless 4-2 exhaust system.

2) the previous owner advised me that he had put new rear brake pads in the caliper. there is a leak and i don't know why he said. i took the caliper off and noticed no pistons/seals? i've asked the seller to try and find me another caliper!

3) i'd to buy a new motobatt battery. i connected it up and turn the switch. the dash lights lit up. the front, turns, neutral lights are there. the rear light doesn't work (bulb?) rear turns do work.

4) i tried to start the bike. do i've to pull the clutch into start it, like my kawasaki? the starter motor is heard spinning. could the starter be the fault for not turning over?

5) i noticed the rear air shocks gaitors are cracked with age. the bike has only done 35k and i was concerned whether the shocks will need to be replaced or just the gaitors if i can find any.

6) i don't have an owners manual. i've never owned a wing before. what is air shocks riders please?

i've tried the 4 keys in the bike. ignition, panniers, dummy tank, right front storage box.

q) i've seen another key, this is on the right side and has 4 white buttons. how do you use these buttons please?

q) is there a goldwing gl1200 de interstate 1984 users manual available on pdf or rar please?

many thanks for your advice wingers!

angel united kingdom

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: goldwing gl1200 de 1984 interstate first starting noise

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Angel as far as a manual try this site-http://goldwingchrome.com/N_Manuals.asp?parCategory=ALL they have alot of manuals there. If you need a user manual to use on the bike go on e-bay type in gl1200 I have found them on there from time to time. Hey we like pictures lots of pictures.If you have the standered radio the key beside it is used to unlock the radio so you can pull it out. What does the oil in the motor look like? some time the starter just spinning can be caused by slug in the engine not letting the sprug to in gage . As far as the air shocks you should have a set of push buttons on the right side near your knee,they are used for checking your shock pressure and filling them up or draining them down.If you get a chance take a look at the How-To-Articles for the 1200s Wingadmin has put together a lot of them and so have a lot of members. -------------------Hal (ps) did you get my long winded P.M.)
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: goldwing gl1200 de 1984 interstate first starting noise

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Some other things I forgot to ask has the bike sat for a long time or has it been ridden regulatory? The other things you should look at are have the timing belts been done,replace all fluids, break fluid,universal,clutch, antifreeze, and also use molly grease for the splines on both ends of the drive shaft. Also the u-joint to the engine needs to be greased. This should keep you busy for a while,there should be a clock to the right of your radio. And as far as starting if you get it to go in neutral you can start it with out pulling in the clutch. Good Luck------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”