not getting fire

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dano955
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

not getting fire

Postby dano955 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i replaced the pulse generators on my 1985 GL1200 interstate with some that i took off a parts bike i bought, to see if it was thw pulse generators were causing my bike just shut off after going 50 miles. just shut off and would not restart to the next morning inwhich it run pretty rough. then i come on here and was advised that could be pulse generators. when i got through it started and ran great..then the next morning it would not start and i checked ad discover it was not getting any spark. due to other things beyond my control i been down since last sept, i am ready to ride but do not want to buy another bike ,just because of the fact i love my baby --please help

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: not getting fire

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Obviously you've been through the bike so you know the ignition system well.
Because your the "hands on man" here and I can only guess at what works and what dosen't, I'll have to take the first look approach.
Test procedures.....don't assume that anything you did is still working perfectly.Pretend that it's the first time for you too.

If there is no spark while cranking,there are only 3 parts involved in the system.
1..The coils...With the key on,they must have 12 volts on one side,the other goes to the ignition module and the voltage is less.I think around 4-6 volt range.
2..The ignition module..It must have 12 volts feeding it also.
3..The pulse coils....they can be tested with a cheap ohm meter/volt meter.
I usually test them right at the ignition module.Here's the post on how I test the pulse coil.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11800

Also if you measure for ohms on the pulse coil with it unplugged and crank the engine,it will wiggle the needle a little.

If you measure for volts on the pulse coil with it unplugged and crank the bike,it will generate a very small voltage.I do mean small.around 0.1 volt.

Here's the schematic to help locate the color codes.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”