85 GL1200A Front tire and fork rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Professor
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A

85 GL1200A Front tire and fork rebuild

Postby Professor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Folks,

I have solved all of my previous elctrical challenges on this bike.

Now I have found that I cannot break the bead on the front tire I want to replace nor can I take the upper sleeve out of the lower sleeve so that I can rebuild the forks.

I removed the fork without challenge and additionally was able to remove the cap nut off of the upper sleeve. Success with removing the dust cap.

However, when looking inside the lower sleeve I can see a rubber item and on top of that a rusted "ring" or I assume it is a ring.

I cannot remove that ring nor can I with forceful jerking motions remove the upper sleeve from the lower sleeve.

Any and all guidance will be appreciated.

Professor

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Re: 85 GL1200A Front tire and fork rebuild

Postby jdvorchak » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 am

Did you pull the allen bolt on the bottom of the forks? 6mm I think and it helps if the spring is still installed and you use an air impact gun.

I also make the assumption that you removed the cir-clip under the dust covers.

Professor
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A

Re: 85 GL1200A Front tire and fork rebuild

Postby Professor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I had removed the allen bolt. Additionally I had removed the springs and was attmepting to further dismantle the fork. It was then that I discovered the circlip which had been broken causing me much stress in removing it.

Finally the job has been done and I am now awaiting parts from Honda before I can rebuild this fork and begin dismantling the other one.

I found that there was a lot of damage (gouging, scraping) of the inside of the lower housing. I feel certain that at least some ofthis damage had been done previously.This damage is in the area where the circlip was. So now my prayers are that after the parts arrive and I rebuild this fork that I have a good seal and no leaks.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”