Hard shifting with clunk 86 GL1200i

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Richy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200i Interstate

Hard shifting with clunk 86 GL1200i

Postby Richy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi I'm new to this site and just bought a 86 GL1200 with 56K miles. I also have a 1980 CB900C. I've only put a few miles on it but I have noticed a couple areas of concerns.
Shifting-
It is really difficult to find neutral, there seems to be quite a bit of slop in the shifting mechanism. It's hard not to get a loud clunk when shifting up or down.
Also there is a bit of a harmonic hum when cruising in lower gears- like when going 5-10mph in 1st. Not just typical tranny noise it varies and oscilates pitch. Hard to tell if noise is coming from tranny it seems to vary with bike speed not engine speed. I almost thought it may be a brake dragging on the rotor, but the noise continues even if applying the brake.

Also a noticeable slop in the driveline if getting on and off the throttle.
I suppose by now you are thinking, "Why did you buy that GL?"
Well it is really clean, looks great, and I was under the ether at the time.

Any help appreciated.
Richy

Richy
1986 GL1200i Interstate
1980 CB900C

tricky

Re: Hard shifting with clunk 86 GL1200i

Postby tricky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 pm

HA HA you can't find neutral either, and here I thought it was just me and thousands of others :) :)

Sometimes a change of oil viscosity or even brand or to synthetic may MAY help.

Put the bike on the center stand. in gear, move the rear tire to it's maximum forward point put a chalk mark on the tire at its lowest point and a corresponding mark on the floor, move it in the other direction, mark again, mine measure 3-4" then mine has 230,000 k on.

wouldnt hurt to examine the rear splines though, I re grease mine every two years if I havnt done a tire change.

The noise could be the timing belts a little on the tight side. MAYBE

mikeg1906
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200I

Postby mikeg1906 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Hello I have a 1984 gl1200. I also had trouble finding neutral and it has a little clunking when shifting into 1st. but the other gears seem fine. I believe you might have more problems. But what I found out that the last owner put auto synthetic oil in bike, which is not good. On these GW they are a wet clutch and if going to use synthetic make sure you use motorcycle synthetic it will have additives for wet clutch and auto synthetic doesn't. I changed my back to Honda oil and it shifts a little better now. I drove it 3000 miles and had to change oil again and I used Honda oil again and it helped some more. It is a lot easier to find neutral then before. Still clunks some going to 1st but it helped on that to.

Richy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200i Interstate

Postby Richy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for the valuable advice.
I put it up on the main stand and measure the rear tire movement when in gear.
It was about 1 7/8" when measured at the fat bulge of sidewall. I only mention this because It would be slightly more if measured at the bottom of tire, since the radius is longer.
Anyway I guess less tha 2" slop is pretty good if someone elses is 3" to 4"

Since I just bought the GL and have only done cleaning and waxing on it so far, I'll tell you what I have been told by POR. Also from buying previous used bikes I have learned never to believe anything that the POR tells you.
But he did seem like an honest nice guy that had a new GL1800, thus the reason for selling this one.
He said that the Metzler tires were installed 4K miles ago by a friend that is a mechanic. The splines were lubricated well at that time by the mechanic.
I e-mailed the mechanic and asked him if he remembered the condition of the splines, but he has not responded.
What lube is recommended for the splines?

He recently changed the engine oil, about 20 miles ago, and used Shell Rotella.
I've heard that Rotella is good for wet clutch, but with new clean diesel rules they may have changed formula of the oil.
I also have a CB900C that has a wet clutch, currently I'm using 20w50 Valvoline MC oil "For MCs with wet clutch"

It's already in 80s here in Austin and the 900C is air cooled, but only 17K miles.
Is standard Dino oil 80w90 good for the drive? I happen to have a lot of it.

Fork oil- he recently installed Progressive Springs in GL front forks. Not sure what oil was used in forks.
The front forks on the GL seem very cushy and compress a lot compared to the Progressive springs I installed in my 900C, although I did install a slightly longer spacer than called for. I'm not sure what was done to the GL I remember reading Progessive instructions to use 20W fork oil in the Goldwing.

Regarding coolant- What coolant is best?

Thanks for bearing with the newbie.
Richy
1986 GL1200i Interstate
1980 CB900C

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 pm

The gear oil in the rear drive is subjected to a lot of shear, so I like to use synthetic in there. It doesn't take a lot, and a bottle will last you quite a while. See: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive.

The splines MUST be lubricated with 60% Moly grease. Honda is best (and cheapest!) for this - see: How to lubricate the splines in your rear drive

Coolant must be silicate-free. Some people use regular auto coolant, this is another place where I prefer to use Honda brand: How to flush your cooling system

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 pm

I use regular dino 80-90 gear oil in the back end.

I use synthetic Mobil 1 15w 50 in the engine, http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... W-50_.aspx

I always dino oil up till 3 years ago and a friend persuaded me to try it, I found a quieter engine and better shifts, it seemed to help the neutral but it still is hard to find, I do use a heel/toe shifter maybe that doesn't help either

My friend tried synthetic in the rear end and it softened the oil seal and we had to pull the thing apart. That's what he blamed anyway, so we stick to what Honda recommended for that portion. The seal went at about 100,000 K immediately after he introduced it to synthetic, mine has 230,000 k on dino.

Take your pick

punkies
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Postby punkies » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Hey there regarding the clunk sound when changing gears and hard to get neutral, i had more or less the same with my GL 1100 interstate i did change oil and put in 20w50 caltex and stil did the same so i ajusted the clutch cable were it go's in by the motor on the right side, after this i could can get neutral much easier and the gear changes is also much smoother but i stil get a bit of clunk sound when changing, perhaps you can try ajusting the clutch cable and see wat it does.
Ride safe.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”