headlight

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fire55r1
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Interstate

headlight

Postby fire55r1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:46 pm

I have had intermittent headlight problems.Seems to be on when it feels like it ...lol
Fuse is ok, headlight is ok ?when it is on, high/low beam is fine.
ignition switch seems ok..
all other running lights are working fine.

Any Ideas?

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: headlight

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 am

Starter button. You don't say which model you have, but if an early one I'm willing to bet that is where your problem is. The power to your headlight runs through make/break contacts operated by the starter button. When you press the starter button, the power to the headlight is interrupted so that you have full power for the starter motor. When you release it the headlight circuit is restored, but only intermittently in your case.

This only applies to the USA models, which have the headlight wired on permanently.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

fire55r1

Postby fire55r1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

thanks ,for info... really helps. I didn't know that. but sometimes on on before starting engine, sometimes not.

fire55r1

Postby fire55r1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the info, after fruitless searches, I found that it was in fact the starter switch. The headlight is fed thru this switch then to hi-low beam switch then to headlight. cleaned contacts all ok again thanks

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Glad I could help you get it fixed.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

kputer
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Re: headlight problem with start switch

Postby kputer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 am

Hi all, my first question here:
fire55r1 how did you clean the start switch exactly? I have the same issue, proved by observing the headlight intermittently lighting when wiggling the start button with key on. I removed the 3 screws and opened up the throttle handle assy and see the switch at the botttom. I tried spraying cleaner down there but it didn't help. I can't remove the whole throttle handle without undoing the throttle cables and wiring. Is this what I need to do to access the switch for cleaning and possible replacement? I read somewhere else where someone actually replaced the switch with one from local electronics store. thanks, I just didn't want to take things all apart if there is an easier way.

kputer
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Re: headlight start switch fixed

Postby kputer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:07 am

Well, I took another shot at it last night and it wasn't that bad after all. I was able to remove the Start switch without removing the throttle handle assy from the handle bar. I found that by loosening the adjuster on the one cable I had enough play in the assy to allow me to get the switch out. Only catch was that the switch wouldn't come out until I pried the start button from the switch while in place. the button wouldn't clear but the switch can without the button on the end of the shaft. Anyway, I popped open the switch and saw the contacts looked quite worn. There is also a tiny spring under the sliding contact which wasn't pushing the contact up. So I cleaned and pulled on the spring to give it more pressure on the contact. reapplied a little coating of dielectric grease and snapped the switch back together and tested. then reassembled the throttle handle assy which wasn't too bad. noticed the assy needs to seat into a hole in the handle bar to keep it in place and not allow it to twist. So glad I didn't have to remove the throttle cables because that would have been a real job.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”