Aftermarket or Custom Seat?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Aftermarket or Custom Seat?

Postby Possum51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm

The stock seat on my GL1200 is for "iron butts" only :lol: , plus its showing its age, I've looked on J & P and a couple other sites to try and find a more comfortable seat at a fair price. It has been hard to find either one, so should I just try to find a place to rebuild/customize what I have maybe with gel padding? This is one of the seats I've looked at, anyone here have one or rode a wing with one like this? http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/road- ... t/TC-H921J

Rick.....

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Aftermarket or Custom Seat?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Personally I'd go aftermarket.That's a pretty good price for that seat and they are good seats.I had 2 different 1200's and played with both seats to try and make them better.I had one completely reshaped(higher and longer on the front and lower where you sit to keep you in the sweet spot)but we couldn't lay our hands on foam that was firm enough.Always felt like you were sitting on the seat frame after a while.I wasted enough money and time trying to get comfortable on those seats that I could have bought a really good aftermarket seat.Love the Hartco that I have on the 1500 now.Best money I could've spent on the bike IMHO.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:Personally I'd go aftermarket.That's a pretty good price for that seat and they are good seats.I had 2 different 1200's and played with both seats to try and make them better.I had one completely reshaped(higher and longer on the front and lower where you sit to keep you in the sweet spot)but we couldn't lay our hands on foam that was firm enough.Always felt like you were sitting on the seat frame after a while.I wasted enough money and time trying to get comfortable on those seats that I could have bought a really good aftermarket seat.Love the Hartco that I have on the 1500 now.Best money I could've spent on the bike IMHO.

Thanks for the reply and insight. I do believe I'm going to order the road sofa soon.
Rick.....

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 am

I have had success with the other approach :

I got a large gel pad, and found a skilled but " hungry" seat upholstery guy,( Winter months ) who took the cover off, cut out foam space for my gel, added new foam, did slight sculpting, and re-fastened the cover, for less than $80...

I found it quite comfy... but a lot of that depends on finding the talented seat guy, and convincing him to do his best on your seat.

Both approaches will work, I am sure . Saddleman seats are very comfy also...

SilverDave

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 am

I had a road sofa just like that, called a king and queen, on a 1978 750-4 that I took in trade for a car I was selling. I only rode it one time to test ride it, but the seat impressed me. I, at that time had thought it was a stock seat, and thought that only Harleys came with comfortable stock seats. The previous owner informed me that it was a Saddlemen Road Sofa. Nice comfortable seat, that was. (and not stock)

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”