Help please help

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gmoe
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda goldwing GL 1200 limited edition

Help please help

Postby gmoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

i owned my 1985 goldwing GL1200 limited edition for only 5 days.I have rode around 30 miles on it. So today I took it to work and made it there on the way home as I was braking for a red light all electrical went dead the clock on the nav computer and all the bike died and would not start.
the man I bought the bike from had a battery tender hooked up and told me to always have it plugged in if i was not riding it the air ride system and auto level system dos not work I only get EEE on both front and rear. when the bike died i tried to jump it and I got nothing it was like no cables where on the battery.

Please any suggestions or advise on this matter is greatly appreciated. Just trying to find out a good starting point to work on this and fix it.

any all info I can give I will

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Re: Help please help

Postby Possum51 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 am

!st thing I would do is pull the cover over the battery and there is a solenoid on the positive battery cable, there is a thirty 30 amp fuse and also if you pop open the cover on the solenoid there is a dog bone flat fuse, either one could have blown. The other fuses are under the fake tank, lift out the glovebox and they are under there. Thats the 1st things I would check. Here is a link to an article that has some great info: http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Sounds like your battery wasn't being charged, and the bike was running off the battery. The battery got lower and lower, and when you hit the brakes, the added load killed the engine. Then trying to restart it really sealed the deal.

First thing to do is to check the 30 amp master/dogbone fuse as described above. Next, check the connector on the three yellow wires, next to the solenoid containing the master fuse. Pull that connector apart and check the state.

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Sounds like your battery wasn't being charged, and the bike was running off the battery. The battery got lower and lower, and when you hit the brakes, the added load killed the engine. Then trying to restart it really sealed the deal.

First thing to do is to check the 30 amp master/dogbone fuse as described above. Next, check the connector on the three yellow wires, next to the solenoid containing the master fuse. Pull that connector apart and check the state.

Thanks for straightening me out wing, I forgot all about the 3 wire plug which is silly cause had to do it to mine lol. Thats why I love about this site, so much info and folks willing to get you back up and running !!!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”