30 AMP Fuse

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
goodoni
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

30 AMP Fuse

Postby goodoni » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Hello Wingers, I have an 84 Interstate, and I'm getting ready to replace the 30 AMP fuse next to the battery with a waterproof Blade type fuse. Now I'm a mechanical guy for the most , not electrical! I looked at the fuse and I see where the Red and Black are connected, but there is also a plug mounted on the side of the fuse. What happens with this??? I appreaciate all input!!! Ride Safe!!! Goodoni
Attachments
fuse pic
fuse pic

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: 30 AMP Fuse

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Just remove the old dogbone fuse and then attach the ends of your inline fuse to the two screws that held the dogbone fuse.That's the starter solenoid that the heavy wire is attached to.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

goodoni

Postby goodoni » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 am

Fatwing Chris,

Thanks for the info.
Now I have something to do to my wing this weekend.

Thanks again,
Goodoni

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 am

I just recently did this myself only I had to bypass completely that whole fuse block thing. The larger of the two red wires was burned and ultimately unusable for the first inch above the block. It was then solid and would not bend, effectively being a resistor causing a voltage drop for the rest of the bike. Check that wire for that. It's best to cut out both of those red wires about an inch to clean copper. Then solder them together along with one leg of the new fuse block you're going to add. On the other end of that fuse block attach a ring connector and connect it direct to the battery. Leave the other two wires behind the red ones alone, they are the starter solenoid coil wires. After I did this, the bike runs much better, the starter spins much faster and the lights are brighter. That main power wire, the 10ga solid red wire, when it burned created a 3v drop and had bad effects on everything. I would strongly advise not using the crimp type connectors as they will fail eventually and you'll be back to square one, solder is the only way to do this right. You'll probably need a friend to help you so choose one that knows something about electricity. and don't forget the shrink tubing to insulate it all when you're done soldering. You can get that at radio shack or HF. Don't underestimate that main power wire. If the insulation is even slightly discolored due to heat, it needs to be cut back and fixed properly. Doing it this way will prevent you from doing it again in 6 mos. plus the fact that the bike will appreciate it. :D

goodoni

Postby goodoni » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am

Wilmo,

Thanks for the info. and advise.
All of my wire(s) look like thier brand new, there is no dis-coloration at all and the copper wire(s) are in very good shape.
My plan right now is to connect the fuse to the two screws that hold the dogbone fuse.
Should be a simple project.

Thank again,
Goodoni

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”