Progressive Rear Shocks

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Progressive Rear Shocks

Postby Possum51 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm

My coil over progressives should be here tomorrow, I never ride anyone and I'm just a little :) 0ver 200lbs with only a 30" inseam, what would the best setting be? I'm thinking on using the lowest setting, anyone use these on a GL1200? Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Rick.....

Possum51

Re: Progressive Rear Shocks

Postby Possum51 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Installed at lowest setting, guess I'll just go from there and see how it rides, adjust if needed.
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Well got everything back on the bike, (shocks,brakes,saddlebags and covers) went for a 15 mile test ride and it felt like a completely different bike. Front tire will be here tomorrow and of course, just in time for a rainy weekend :lol: Question: I'm running 35 PSI in the new shinko rear tire, the owners manual says 32 - 40 psi depending on the load on the bike, I'm thinking about dropping the psi to 32 due to I never ride people or carry much on the bike, What do most of ya'll run in the rear tire?
Rick.....

Poohman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Apsencade
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:42 pm

what shocks did you get MODEL NO> of progressive? Same here I really need to change mine. I know about not riding anyone on the back. I took my daughter on a ride and me @ 160 and my daughter @ 120 on the back and every time I went over a little bump the shocks felt like they bottomed out. :o Now I know I need to replace them. Best place to buy them cheap. I don't have much money.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Poohman wrote:what shocks did you get MODEL NO> of progressive? Same here I really need to change mine. I know about not riding anyone on the back. I took my daughter on a ride and me @ 160 and my daughter @ 120 on the back and every time I went over a little bump the shocks felt like they bottomed out. :o Now I know I need to replace them. Best place to buy them cheap. I don't have much money.

I got the Progressive 412's. I found mine on ebay. Progressive has a website and they want $280.00 for a set. http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ I got lucky and found a guy selling a set he didn't have the bike for anymore.
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 pm

matching front tire got here today, going to try and get it on tomorrow. I don't know if its because I was use to the blown out rear shocks and the worn out rear tire, but on the 15 mile road test the rear felt a little squirrely, not much but noticeable. I checked back at home, nothing leaking or loose in the rear end and the tire is tracking straight I checked that before taking it down off center stand.
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Mr. Murphy is enforcing his laws today. I leave my motorcycle at home cause its too cold and snowy, take my truck up to visit my daughter and grandkids and this morning the alternator goes out on the truck. Oh well, just another day in the life of Rick.....lol
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Well, I just wanted to say Thank You for all the advise and tips on the wing. Solved the issues and its running great, but its no longer mine. If I get booted (no drama meant by this) cause I bought a 04 Harley Road King today I'll understand. I have learned sooo much about the GL1200's from ya'll and you can bet I'll be passing that knowledge along every chance I get. AS much as I did really like the wing, with the back surgery and all it just needs more TLC than I can give it.
Rick.....

Fastymz
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby Fastymz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 am

I installed the porgressive 412hd shocks two weeks ago. I set them at the highest setting with two up riding the difference is amazing. Handles much better, gets up on the center stand easier, and can take turns now without scraping. Now my wife and I are on the heavy side and these shocks have it so we can ride now.
I have gone on some solo ride too and left the shocks on the firmest setting very happy with the ride and handling.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”