When it rains it pours

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

When it rains it pours

Postby Possum51 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:49 pm

I replaced the rear shocks, brakes, rear and front tires and front brakes. All back together and test rode. Heard a noise in the rear end and after tarring the saddlebags and covers off again I put it up on the center stand and put it in gear and noticed the "new" rear tire had a wobble. In checking I'm pretty sure the rim is spinning true, but the tire has a wobble, so its coming back off and I'm going to go ahead and replace the rear bearings and seals and check the rims. I've been told there is a know issue with the GL1200 rear rims where the bearings sits of it becoming out of round, so I'll be looking at this as well. I've already been in contact with the place I bought the tire (motorcycle super store) and they are suppose to call me back Monday to let me know if I need to send the tire back to them or directly to shinko. Hopefully I'll Get-R-Done before too long so I can enjoy some spring time riding.

Rick.....

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Re: When it rains it pours

Postby tprender » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 am

This is just a quick though, check to see if the tire beaded up all of the way around the rim. You say that the rim spins true. but he tire seems to wobble. Check this before you take the tire and rim off.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:07 am

me and my brother actually checked for this, the bead line is even all the way around on both sides of the tire, so pretty sure that's not the issue.
Rick.....

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 am

Before you take it all apart make sure that the rim is turning true. Also, check to see if the tire has a high spot if the rim is running true. I hate to see you take it all apart and it is just a bad tire. The last thing that I would check or replace is the bearing. I just put one back on the road after it had sat for 4 yrs in a barn and the back tire seems to be turning good.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

tprender wrote:Before you take it all apart make sure that the rim is turning true. Also, check to see if the tire has a high spot if the rim is running true. I hate to see you take it all apart and it is just a bad tire. The last thing that I would check or replace is the bearing. I just put one back on the road after it had sat for 4 yrs in a barn and the back tire seems to be turning good.

looking into this right now actually, report back when I know more.
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Some good news, Shinko is replacing the tire, they don't want the old tire back (which makes me wonder if they knew there is a problem with at least some of their 230 tourmaster tires) all I have to pay is $19 shipping on the replacement tire. Took everything apart today checked - rechecked - relubed everything. Test drove with saddle bags off, no noise. Put saddlebags back on test drove and the noise is back right when I get to the bottom of a hill and the weight shifts starting up the other side. It did it 2 or 3 times. Got home and looked for something possibly scrubbing the tire, nope nothing. Only thing I can figure at this point is the noise may be coming from the final drive unit gears. Pretty much ready to throw my hands up and park it, sense I'm "retired" can't afford to put it in a shop and at this point I'm at a loss.
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Well, looks like I might have figured it out, I figured I either have to loose weight quick or adjust to a tighter setting on the new progressive shocks, decided adjusting the shocks would be quicker :) and the test ride agreed with me. I will take it out tomorrow for a longer test run, find some rail road tracks and bumpy roads to test it on.

Rick.....

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”