Cam belt change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
grains
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 goldwing

Cam belt change

Postby grains » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:40 am

The snow is finally starting to melt here in Northern Ontario, grass is starting to show, and the itch is starting to get to me.
I want to change my cam belts on my 84 1200A and there is plenty of help here. But ,from another FORMER gold wing owner, he tells me that they are a BEAR to "Burp" the rad. I have even looked at trying to do the belt change without completely removing the rad but it doesn't look good, as the inner cover bolt doesn't look like it will clear the rad.
I've also thought that it is probably a good time to change the anti freeze. But don't want to fry my engine because of an airlock. Any thoughts????

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Cam belt change

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm

When changing the timing belts it can be done with out removing the rad but it will be a bear. I have changed antifreeze on my 84 aspy and have changed timing belts too. I did not have any problem when refilling the rad,just put enough to see it in the rad and start it up it will come up some then let her cool down and then top her off. Dont forget to fill your reserve bottle to the proper level. And it is a whole lot easier to do the belts with the rad off!!-------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm

It's not that hard. Fill the radiator neck, crank it, the level will drop down. Fill it again, crank it again, it will drop down again. Repeat until it doesn't drop down anymore. Then start it up, and stand by with coolant to add as air bubbles come up and are expelled. Eventually you will notice that the level is not dropping anymore, and it's actually rising as the engine heats up. Once it's at the radiator neck, shut down and install the radiator cap. Make sure the coolant overflow tank has the correct amount of coolant in it, and that the tube leading from the radiator neck to the overflow tank is in good shape. That way, if any small air bubbles do surface, it will replace them with coolant drawn from the overflow tank as required.

grains
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 goldwing

Postby grains » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Well I finally got the courage to do the change. It was not as bad a job as I thought. Everything went well and I am up and running.
Thanks for all your help

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”