Trip computer, electrical problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveClayton
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Trip computer, electrical problems

Postby DaveClayton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I am searching this site constantly and usually getting all the info I need to help me along. However, I have recently had a problem that I was not able to find a fix for in any of the posts. My entire dash would flash on and off as I was driving along. Would just do it once in awhile and I would hit the trip computer and it would be fine for awhile. I tried the electrical contact cleaner on the two connectors under the trip computer and it helped a bit but the problem soon came back. I figured out how to take each wire out of the two connectors, re-crimped them and tightened up the female part of the connector just a little bit and reinserted it back into the plastic part of the connector, one wire at a time. Put it back together and now I had nothing showing on the trip computer, blank screen, and the fuel light on the main dash was lit up. Checked all the fuses but they were all fine. Manuel says to check the 7.5 amp fuse under the left pouch and it was blown. New fuse and now everything works fine and the main dash does not flash on and off anymore. Hope this info helps someone else out there.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Trip computer, electrical problems

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks for the information. The little connectors do tend to lose their springiness over time, and corrosion doesn't help much either.

nightair
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade Special Edition

Postby nightair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I am having the same problem with my 85 Sei. Is the fuse you mentioned a single wire type ???
I removed the left pocket and center fairing and the only thing I see is a small black single wire with a 7.5A fuse.
Thanks
Keith

DaveClayton
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby DaveClayton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I think that would be it. It is the only fuse in there and when you are looking down into the pouch hole on the right side there is a clip for the fuse holder to slide into. It is the same kind of fuse that are in the fuse box on the bike. Also, I have had a lot of problems with the relays in the fuse box so I have been swapping them around as they seem to work sometime and then not so much. I have not been able to locate new ones so I pried them apart and cleaned them up best I could.

nightair
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade Special Edition

Postby nightair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks. I found the fuse where it was supposed to be, it was blown, the other fuse was a 15A fuse for the fog lights.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”