Air Shock Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Poohman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Apsencade
1998 GL1500 SE

Air Shock Rebuild

Postby Poohman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Does anyone know if there is a complete rebuild kit for the rear air shocks for a 1985 GL1200A. I have tried to check on the web and could not find anything. I would really like to try rebuilding them instead of spending $350.00 to $420.00 for a pair of shocks. I would really like to have air shocks and not the standard stay alone shocks.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: Air Shock Rebuild

Postby Dogsled » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a 97 se and the compressor puked on me....Everybody claims their compressors NEVER fail..... Progressive Shocks sells ALOT of after market adjustable manual shocks for a bike who's compressor never breaks down...... Compressor repair was too high to justify replacement.....I don't trailer so quick adjustment wasn't a big issue. un-hooking then riding solo or 2 up. Progressive shocks for 200 bucks and change let me clear out alot of wiringand stuff under the seat that on an old bike like a 97 could run into....(I don't even want to think about a 1985)....even if I trailered, I would have to think about value/investment and my time to remove the seat and adjust the tension....... I ride my bike as stiff as if I was carrying a trailer, I like that feel. Buying new shocks are costly and rebuilding the compressor on an 85, it makes you wonder if a little labor to adjust your ride feel is worth the big investment. I have check the retail value of getting rid of my bike and a compressor working doesn't come near the difference in price.
I would have to ask you what is the mileage of the bike and start there, then go to how well the bike has been taken care of......For some reason 80' and 90' wings don't hit that 'classic pricing'......damn these bikes running too long are killing us :lol:
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Poohman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Apsencade
1998 GL1500 SE

Re: Air Shock Rebuild

Postby Poohman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 pm

I haven't checked my compressor but I am thinking that it is my shocks. I have a 85 GL1200 Aspencade and it has 93,000 + on it. I have done the following; new pulse generator, battery, all for carb's rebuilt, new plugs, wires and sliders. it run's pretty good, would like to upgrade to a 90's model but don't have the cash right now.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”